Re: [tcpm] draft-ietf-tcpm-rfc793bis-14: options

<mohamed.boucadair@orange.com> Thu, 01 August 2019 05:38 UTC

From: mohamed.boucadair@orange.com
To: Joe Touch <touch@strayalpha.com>
CC: Wesley Eddy <wes@mti-systems.com>, "tcpm@ietf.org" <tcpm@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2019 05:38:47 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.114.13.247]
Subject: Re: [tcpm] draft-ietf-tcpm-rfc793bis-14: options

Hi Joe,

Please see inline.

Cheers,
Med

De : Joe Touch [mailto:touch@strayalpha.com]
Envoyé : mercredi 31 juillet 2019 20:51
À : BOUCADAIR Mohamed TGI/OLN
Cc : Wesley Eddy; tcpm@ietf.org
Objet : Re: [tcpm] draft-ietf-tcpm-rfc793bis-14: options

Based on the defined scope and approach of 793bis, as stated in its intro:

On 2019-07-30 23:26, mohamed.boucadair@orange.com wrote:
Hi Wes,

Below some comments about the options as described in Section 3.1:

* Consider adding some text to ACK the TCP option space problem. Adding a pointer to EDO as * an example * (without recommending it) of how to extend the space for non-SYNs would be useful.

It would be useful to mention the ongoing work, but not to try to repeat it.

[Med] Yes, this is what I had in mind.

* Add an explicit statement about 253/254 as being reserved for experiments with a strong recommendation to make use of shared ExIDs.

It would be useful to note their being assigned for that purpose (not quite RESERVED)

[Med] Indeed.

and to ref 6994 for further details.

Given the focus of this updated is standards-track, it would be useful to remind developers not to deploy options using those codepoints outside carefully controlled experiments and that they are default to being not enabled in any code not under direct control of the developers.

[Med] Sounds reasonable.

However...

* What about obsoleting (?) 6994 and incorporating its main contribution as part of 793bis?

I disagree. First, 6994 is not being obsoleted per se; second, others refer to its approach for other similar experimental fields. It would be a bad idea to try to "obsolete" it.

[Med] This is not a problem. These documents can refer to RFC793bis (if we go that path). BTW, please note (?) in my initial comment, so I’m fine if the WG decides to maintain it, but …

I also don't think it's useful to include these details inside 793bis

[Med] What I had in mind is to import the option layout and key information into 793bis. What I’m hoping with this change is to avoid having discussion similar to https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/tcpinc/fVCnrvMouTdeIuwTytoBRNmztHU (end of the message) each time a new option is discussed.

- these are not details needed for standards-compliant operation

[Med] I’m not sure to parse this comment. RFC6994 is a standard track RFC.

(esp. because they shouldn't be used for final standards-track options).

IMO, 6994 is a lot like congestion control; OK, if not better, as a separate doc.

[Med] That’s OK to maintain it, but there is a value to extract the main messages and incorporate them into 793bis.

Joe

Cheers,
Med