Re: [tcpm] WGLC: draft-ietf-tcpm-tcpsecure-10.txt

Joe Touch <touch@ISI.EDU> Fri, 19 September 2008 17:13 UTC

Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 10:14:40 -0700
From: Joe Touch <touch@ISI.EDU>
To: David Borman <david.borman@windriver.com>
Cc: tcpm@ietf.org, rrs@cisco.com, mdalal@cisco.com, "Anantha Ramaiah (ananth)" <ananth@cisco.com>, Ted Faber <faber@ISI.EDU>
Subject: Re: [tcpm] WGLC: draft-ietf-tcpm-tcpsecure-10.txt
Sender: tcpm-bounces@ietf.org

David Borman wrote:
> (WG chair hat off)
>
> The SHOULD/MAY in the applicability statement is about who benefits most
> from tcpsecure, and in the rest of the document the MUST/SHOULD/MAY are
> about implementing tcpsecure.  We (the WG) wanted the distinction in the
> applicability statement about which situations will benefit the most
> from tcpsecure.

Yes, we agreed on that, but that distinction is, AFAICT, unusual in the
IETF. I.e., most people I talked to expected the component
recommendations to reflect the overall context; they were extremely
surprised at our view that a hierarchy of recommendations was how
standards were written.

I'd like to suggest we get advice on this matter from outside the WG,
since this isn't an internal issue.

Joe