Re: [tcpm] Increasing the Initial Window - Notes

"Anantha Ramaiah (ananth)" <ananth@cisco.com> Wed, 10 November 2010 16:04 UTC

Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 08:04:48 -0800
From: "Anantha Ramaiah (ananth)" <ananth@cisco.com>
To: Hagen Paul Pfeifer <hagen@jauu.net>, Jerry Chu <hkchu@google.com>, tmrg <tmrg-interest@ICSI.Berkeley.EDU>, Matt Mathis <mattmathis@google.com>, tcpm <tcpm@ietf.org>, Lars Eggert <lars.eggert@nokia.com>
Subject: Re: [tcpm] Increasing the Initial Window - Notes

I think the stuff which you are suggesting below has already been
mentioned in earlier conversations (mailing lists, online during the
earlier presentations). Things like "tomorrow someone will come with IW
= 23 etc.,", using the cached information also has been mentioned. The
IW=10 is a fundamental change to TCP and hence the suggestion of moving
this work item to ICCRG also was mentioned before. Someone also pointed
out "will this work in Africa"?  Also using a TCP option to agree upon
the IW was mentioned (which is probably less useful since you have to
wait for the 3 way HS to complete and also it is not about end hosts
supporting higher IW, it is about the network property as you rightly
mention below)

Actually it would be nicer if the authors mention these things in the
document and respond with what their stance is on each of the questions.
This way anyone who reads the document are well informed of the current
stance.

$0.02,
-Anantha