Re: [tcpm] draft-ananth-tcpm-persist-00.txt as a WG document

David Borman <david.borman@windriver.com> Mon, 29 September 2008 22:44 UTC

From: David Borman <david.borman@windriver.com>
To: Joe Touch <touch@isi.edu>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 17:44:51 -0500
Cc: tcpm@ietf.org, "Anantha Ramaiah (ananth)" <ananth@cisco.com>, mbashyam@ocarinanetworks.com
Subject: Re: [tcpm] draft-ananth-tcpm-persist-00.txt as a WG document
Sender: tcpm-bounces@ietf.org

(WG co-chair hat on)

Its intended status is informational, so it isn't a protocol
document.  The purpose is clarification of what the standards already
say. Clarification of confusion is part of maintenance, even if the
clarification is not needed by everyone.

(WG co-chair hat off)

I was one of the people pointing out that the implementation is
separate from the protocol, and that though the protocol says that TCP
must not abort connections in persist state, in the implementation the
other parts of the OS or the application can abort a TCP connection at
any time, which includes connections in persist state.  If this
document helps to make that clearer for some implementors, then that
is a good thing.

		-David