Re: [tcpm] WGLC: draft-ietf-tcpm-tcpsecure-10.txt

David Borman <david.borman@windriver.com> Fri, 19 September 2008 17:33 UTC

From: David Borman <david.borman@windriver.com>
To: Joe Touch <touch@isi.edu>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 12:33:31 -0500
Cc: tcpm@ietf.org, rrs@cisco.com, mdalal@cisco.com, "Anantha Ramaiah (ananth)" <ananth@cisco.com>, Ted Faber <faber@isi.edu>
Subject: Re: [tcpm] WGLC: draft-ietf-tcpm-tcpsecure-10.txt
Sender: tcpm-bounces@ietf.org

Joe,

I don't view it as a hierarchy.  The SHOULD/MAY in the applicability
statement is about giving clarity to what situations tcpsecure is most
applicable.  The rest is about how you implement tcpsecure.

But even if you do view it as a hierarchy, it is nothing out of the
ordinary.  No optional standard is going to be a MUST for who needs to
implement it, but then the rest of the standard itself will have still
have MUSTs in it for how to do the implementation.  The only thing
that might be unique here is that the applicability statement has an
explicit SHOULD/MAY in it; they could be changed to should/may and I
don't think anything would be lost, but I also think it is fine as it
is.

			-David (still with WG chair hat off)