[tcpm] Abolade Gbadegesin's UTO comments at the Paris IETF mtg

Lars Eggert <lars.eggert@netlab.nec.de> Tue, 04 October 2005 15:00 UTC

To: tcpm@ietf.org
From: Lars Eggert <lars.eggert@netlab.nec.de>
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2005 17:00:21 +0200
Subject: [tcpm] Abolade Gbadegesin's UTO comments at the Paris IETF mtg
Sender: tcpm-bounces@ietf.org

Hi,

(was trying to clarify this with Abolade off-list, but I can't track
an email address down for him; I hope he's lurking or someone can
forward it to him. I'm interested in other people's feedback on this
as well, and may send some more messages as I go through the
remaining UTO issues from Paris.)

Abolade: I'm sorry it has taken me a while to get back to working on
the UTO draft. You had some interesting comments at the Paris meeting
that I never responded to. This bit below is from the meeting minutes:

> AG: How does knowing the other end's timeout help me cope with
> events? All that matters is my own timer.
>
> Knowing the other end's timeout is of no use if I don't know that
> the other end has begun trying to send something to me. Typically,
> the only way to know the other end has begun trying to send
> something is if there's an upper layer protocol which gives me that
> information. But if I'm relying on an upper layer protocol to tell
> me when I should be expecting something from the other end, I may
> as well rely on that upper layer protocol to tell me the timeout as
> well. And in that case, I don't need UTO in the TCP layer.

Does this accurately summarize your comment? If so, you seem to be
concerned about the receive timeout (SO_RCVTIMEO sockopt on some
stacks). This isn't the point of the UTO draft, because AFAIK the TCP
spec doesn't include this sockopt at all. The UTO drafts is solely
about the transmit user timout (SO_SNDTIMEO sockopt on some stacks).

The next update will clarify that and also explain that if the stack
implements something like SO_RCVTIMEO, it also needs adaptation. But
since that timer is not in the TCP spec (or I am unable to locate
it), I'm not sure we can change its behavior.

Or am I completely misunderstanding you?

Thanks,
Lars
--
Lars Eggert                                     NEC Network Laboratories