Re: [tcpm] Handling of FIN in the reassembly queue

Jakob Heitz <jheitz@redback.com> Sun, 24 February 2008 02:00 UTC

Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 18:00:33 -0800
From: Jakob Heitz <jheitz@redback.com>
To: Andre Oppermann <andre@freebsd.org>
Cc: David Borman <dab@weston.borman.com>, tcpm@ietf.org, "Anantha Ramaiah (ananth)" <ananth@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [tcpm] Handling of FIN in the reassembly queue
Sender: tcpm-bounces@ietf.org

Andre Oppermann wrote:
> David Borman wrote:
>> On Feb 22, 2008, at 1:38 PM, Anantha Ramaiah (ananth) wrote:
>
> David, Anantha,
>
>>> David,
>>>   Pl see inline..

>>> Agreed. Just to be clear, the rationale for me suggesting to drop the
>>> segment with FIN in this case is :
>>>
>>> If this is a genuine FIN, it would get retransmitted again. So you know
>>> what to do the next time, ie., So just give it a chance one time, I
>>> think this is more safer and robust but YMMV.
>> Well, now you have to remember that you previously got this FIN, so that
>> if it shows up again out of sequence you can do something different.  I
>> don't like that additional complexity.  Keep it simple.  (Or are you
>> saying just keep ignoring the out-of-sequence FIN until the holes are
>> filled and it shows up in sequence?)

>>> Well, we have already received a FIN, which means that ( going by your
>>> CLOSEWAIT state example) we don't want to accept any data beyond this as
>>> per RFC. Now we got a FIN which is way before the current sequence
>>> number, in which case I would think it makes sense to ignore it. My
>>> consistency reasons are :-
>>> - if it would have been received in-order, we would have moved to
>>> CLOSEWAIT and would have discarded the new FIN as duplicate ( the
>>> receive window already slided, app might have already the data). TCP
>>> window slides forward and in this and there is no provision for data
>>> "overwrite".
>> But we haven't processed that data & FIN yet, because they came out of
>> order.  They are to be processed in SEG.SEQ order, which means the
>> earlier FIN is processed first (unless you received something like
>> SEG1.SEQ=100,LEN=100,FIN and then SEG2.SEQ=150,LEN=0,FIN, in which case
>> the later sequenced FIN would be processed first...)
>>
>> The bottom line is that if you have two FINs, or data beyond a FIN, the
>> connection is screwed up and it probably isn't worth putting much effort
>> into dealing with this scenario.  Certainly it is not worth trying to
>> optimize.  Your safest bet is to go to a fallback position and toss all
>> the suspect data.  So, I'll stick with my original suggestion that all
>> the out of sequence data after the earlier (sequence numbered) FIN be
>> thrown away.  But we should probably also throw away the earlier FIN
>> (and any data that it arrived with).  Then we've tossed all the suspect
>> data, and the other side can retransmit what it thinks is the correct
>> data, assuming it is able to do so.
>
> After reading and sleeping one night over this excellent discussion I realized
> that we are unsafe at any speed here.
>
> We may get hit with a FIN attack just as we may get hit with a RST attack.
> A FIN anywhere in the window is valid and gets queued in the reassembly
> queue for later processing.  This wrecks a TCP session by either ending
> it prematurely in one direction (accepting the FIN closest to left edge),
> [...]

You are free to drop any received data (including FIN) that you
have not yet acknowledged. The peer will retransmit. I suggest you
drop any segment that contains a suspicious FIN, and I stress drop
the whole segment. After all, if the FIN is suspicious, it will make
the rest of the segment suspicious too. I would call a FIN suspicious
if the resequencing queue contains any data (or another FIN) with a
higher sequence number. I would then drop all of this data higher in
the resequencing queue as well. All data in the resequencing queue
has not been acknowledged (even if it's SACKed) and the peer will
retransmit.

--
Jakob Heitz.