Re: [tcpm] AccECN and updating RFC3449

Gorry Fairhurst <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk> Mon, 21 March 2022 13:43 UTC

Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2022 14:42:05 +0100
To: Bob Briscoe <ietf@bobbriscoe.net>
Cc: tcpm IETF list <tcpm@ietf.org>
From: Gorry Fairhurst <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: [tcpm] AccECN and updating RFC3449

On 21/03/2022 10:19, Bob Briscoe wrote:
> Gorry,
>
> One response inline, tagged [BB2]...
Thanks - see GF2:

> [...]
>>>     SHOULD determine if an ACK is part of a connection using AccECN and
>>>     SHOULD then preserve the correct operation of AccECN feedback.
>>>
>> And I have concerns with recommending one of those and I don't see
>> the value of the second.

>>> [BB] Presumably you agree that it is reasonable that ACK filtering
>>> ought to preserve the correct operation of ECN (as in RFC3449). And
>>> now that AccECN introduces a second different ECN feedback scheme
>>> using the same bits, surely you agree that ACK filtering ought to
>>> preserve correct operation of AccECN as well.
>>>
>>> If you think that an ACK filtering function can (or at least might)
>>> preserve the operation of both schemes without knowing which one
>>> each packet is using, then yes we don't need bullet #1. Is this what
>>> you're saying?
>>>
>>> We also need to bear in mind the subsequent para, which says that
>>> AccECN hosts have to be robust in the face of *existing* ACK
>>> filtering, whether or not it preserves the correct operation of
>>> AccECN. I believe what we're trying to do here is ensure that ACK
>>> filtering preserves its intention to *improve* performance - then
>>> merely functioning would be OK, but not the goal.
>>>
>> I think much more work is needed to write this update to a BCP.
>>

> [BB2] RFC3449 is a BCP with one sentence about RFC3168 ECN and ACK
> filtering, which gives no guidance on what the problem is or what to
> do. It just says
>     "Appropriate treatment is also needed to preserve correct
> operation of ECN feedback (carried in the TCP header) [RFC3168]."
> If that sentence wasn't there, it wouldn't need to be updated. But it
> is. So surely it does.
>
> One possible way forward: RFC3449 is structured as a number of
> sections on each topic, with discussion then a concluding paragraph
> always headed 'RECOMMENDATION:' In the RECOMMENDATION section about
> ACK filtering, all it says about ECN is: "Suitable algorithms to
> support IPSec authentication, SACK, and ECN remain areas of ongoing
> research."
>
> So, given the sentence about preserving correct operation of RFC3168
> is not in a section headed RECOMMENDATION, presumably it is not
> normative. If so, we wouldn't need to formally update RFC3449. Then we
> could rephrase the sentences with the two SHOULDs as discussion (using
> your other responses further down the email), rather than normative.
> Although these are only bureaucratic changes, that do nothing about
> actual performance, at least they would satisfy your desire not to
> update RFC3449.
>
> To deal with actual performance, we could say that, from the PoV of
> end systems, the sure-fire way to be robust against existing ACK
> filtering would be to implement the AccECN TCP Option. I would add
> this where it says the AccECN TCP Option is optional to implement.
> Then refer to it from the ACK Filtering section.
>
> Is this moving towards what you are asking for?

GF2: I like both of these proposals, and would be happy with this.

Gorry

P.S. To be fully clear, *IF* AccECN is deployed, which I really hope,
and people start using it, e.g. for L4S, and then I expect the IETF will
know  what to recommend, I'd hen be really happy to see an RFC that
updates RFC3449 by adding "appropriate" procedures to the BCP.