Re: [tcpm] RFC 5827 on Early Retransmit for and Stream Control Transmission Protocol (SCTP)

Fred Baker <fred@cisco.com> Tue, 27 April 2010 03:00 UTC

From: Fred Baker <fred@cisco.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 04:00:24 +0100
To: jblanton@irg.cs.ohiou.edu, k.avrachenkov@sophia.inria.fr, Mark Allman <mallman@icir.org>, per.hurtig@kau.se, urtzi@laas.fr
Cc: tcpm@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [tcpm] RFC 5827 on Early Retransmit for and Stream Control Transmission Protocol (SCTP)

Thinking out loud...

In cases in which cwnd < 4, it seems like your biggest concern is to elicit the information necessary to trigger the retransmission without unnecessarily burdening the path. That is in essence why we use three dup-acks as a trigger - it is "enough" information to ensure that with high probability it is not being triggered by simple packet reordering.

Would it make sense to, when cwnd < 4 or all of the data available to transmit is in flight, in response to a SACK, send a segment containing exactly the TCP header, and one byte of SACKed data? The receipt of the SACK says that it is highly likely that the missing segment cleared the bottleneck, and would trigger an additional dup-ack containing the SACK record in question (which might trigger another of the same type of segment). If the missing segment is in fact lost, doing that would allow you to trigger three dup-acks in three RTTs even if you only had two segments outstanding (cwnd=2 or that's all the data you have). You only take the RTO if you literally have a single segment outstanding. If the missing segment in fact arrived but the ACK was lost, it would trigger the ACK.