Re: [tcpm] I-D Action:draft-ietf-tcpm-ecnsyn-07.txt

Sally Floyd <sallyfloyd@mac.com> Thu, 06 November 2008 00:05 UTC

From: Sally Floyd <sallyfloyd@mac.com>
To: tcpm <tcpm@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2008 16:04:56 -0800
Cc: "K. K. Ramakrishnan" <kkrama@research.att.com>, Amit Mondal <amitmondal2010@u.northwestern.edu>, Aleksandar Kuzmanovic <akuzma@cs.northwestern.edu>
Subject: Re: [tcpm] I-D Action:draft-ietf-tcpm-ecnsyn-07.txt
Sender: tcpm-bounces@ietf.org

We have (finally) revised draft-ietf-tcpm-ecnsyn, on "Adding Explicit
Congestion Notification (ECN) Capability to TCP's SYN/ACK Packets",
and are finally ready for it to complete the standardization process.

Here is the story:

The draft had finished Working Group Last Call, and been forwarded
to the IESG for review.  As a final step in revising the draft
after the AD Evaluation, we (the authors) reran the simulations
with an updated version of the ns-2 simulator, and found that in
some highly congested scenarios, ECN+ would significantly increase
the packet drop rate even further.  (I am appending the 5/26/08
email below.)

the new draft we call "ECN+/TryOnce".  With ECN+/TryOnce, when
an ECN-Capable SYN/ACK packet is ECN-marked, the TCP responder
sends another SYN/ACK packet that is not ECN-Capable, and also
reduces the initial window to one packet.  ECN+/TryOnce
shows most of the performance benefit of ECN+, and avoids the
problem of increasing the packet drop rate in times of high
congestion.

I think it makes sense to pass this through the working group
before going back to the IESG.  However, I won't be at IETF
in Minnesota, and am hoping that this can be done by email.

The new version of the draft is at:
"http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-tcpm-ecnsyn-07",
and that web page also gives the differences with earlier
versions of the draft.  Any feedback would be appreciated.

Many thanks,
- Sally
http://www.icir.org/floyd/

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Lars Eggert <lars.eggert@nokia.com>
> Date: May 28, 2008 7:35:26 AM PDT
> To: ext Sally Floyd <sallyfloyd@mac.com>
> Cc: Mark Allman <mallman@icir.org>, Aleksandar Kuzmanovic <akuzma@northwestern.edu
> >, "K. K. Ramakrishnan" <kkrama@research.att.com>, Ted Faber <faber@isi.edu
> >, Amit Mondal <a-mondal@northwestern.edu>
> Subject: Re: AD review: draft-ietf-tcpm-ecnsyn-05
>
> Hi,
>
> thanks for the update. I'll move it back to a WG document in the
> tracker in this case, and Ted and Mark will figure out what to do
> with the new version when it comes out.
>
> On 2008-5-27, at 1:45, ext Sally Floyd wrote:
>> We need to modify the mechanism in ECN+ to deal with severely
>> congested networks.  (I fixed a bug in the simulator some time ago,
>> and the result was to uncover a problem with ECN+, in a few cases,
>> in highly congested networks.)   We are rerunning the simulations,
>> and I will let you know as soon as we have a revised version of the
>> draft.  I think we will have to report back to the working group
>> before moving on to the IESG.
>
> Thanks,
> Lars

Begin forwarded message: