Re: [tcpm] Working group acceptance of draft-touch-tcpm-2140bis-06 targeting informational status

"Scharf, Michael" <Michael.Scharf@hs-esslingen.de> Mon, 11 March 2019 21:56 UTC

From: "Scharf, Michael" <Michael.Scharf@hs-esslingen.de>
To: "tcpm@ietf.org" <tcpm@ietf.org>
CC: "draft-touch-tcpm-2140bis@ietf.org" <draft-touch-tcpm-2140bis@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2019 21:56:19 +0000
x-originating-ip: [134.108.29.249]
Subject: Re: [tcpm] Working group acceptance of draft-touch-tcpm-2140bis-06 targeting informational status

Disclaimer: Chair hat off

I have read draft-touch-tcpm-2140bis-06. I believe that this document is a good starting point for a new TCPM working group item targeting an informational RFC.

Below are some initial comments that are hopefully not difficult to sort out in a follow-up version.

Comments:

- The abstract and/or the introduction could better explain the purpose of the document and why it is informational. For instance, a sentence such as "this document provides informational guidance to TCP implementers..." or the like could be useful.

- While this may be somewhat obvious to most of us, the document could also mention more explicitly that the content does not affect TCP interoperability.

- Section 2 may not be required given that the document does not use RFC 2119 language, except in a quote from RFC 7413 and in the appendix that will be removed prior to publication. If section 2 stays in the document, it should be reworded according to RFC 8174.

- In Section 6, I find the sentence and references "RTT values are updated by a more complicated mechanism [RFC1644][Ja86]" somewhat confusing. First, I don't know what [Ja86] actually refers to; without a public archive such a reference has only very limited value to (younger) readers. That also applies to a later use of [Ja86]. Second, RFC 1644 is now obsolete and I think T/TCP belongs better into Appendix A. I wonder if this section could be reworded with references to RFC 6298? The same comment may also apply to later discussions of the RTT.

Editorial nits:

- The abstract may be more useful on the first page

- Section 8: "TCP is sometimes used in situations where packets of the same host-pair always take the same path." This sentence seems broken, no?

- Section 8: "some Virtual Private Networks (VPNs) are known to use proprietary UDP encapsulation methods". I don't understand why "proprietary" is used in this context; actually I even don't even understand why "UDP encapsulation" matters. Doesn't this paragraph apply to all tunnel encaps?

- Section 9: "One such problem is determining the associated prior outgoing packet for an incoming packet, to infer RTT from the exchange." Well, as a non-native speaker, I had to read this sentence at least three times to understand what is probably meant by that.

Thanks

Michael