[tcpm] review on the last rev of lwig-tcp-constrained-node-networks

G Fairhurst <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk> Wed, 27 March 2019 14:41 UTC

Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2019 15:41:02 +0100
From: G Fairhurst <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk>
To: lwip@ietf.org
CC: Carles Gomez Montenegro <carlesgo@entel.upc.edu>, tcpm@ietf.org
Subject: [tcpm] review on the last rev of lwig-tcp-constrained-node-networks

I also did a review based on the last rev of
lwig-tcp-constrained-node-networks, after I saw it presented in TCPM.

Gorry

—
4.1.1. Maximum Segment Size (MSS)

" For the sake of lightweight implementation and operation, unless
applications require handling large data units (i.e. leading to an
IPv6 datagram size greater than 1280 bytes), it may be desirable to
limit the MTU to 1280 bytes in order to avoid the need to support
Path MTU Discovery [RFC8201]."

An IPv6 datagram size exceeding 1280 bytes can be avoided by setting
the TCP MSS not larger than 1220 bytes. (Note: IP version 6 is
assumed.)

ISSUE:
I think the ID should also note the minimm size for IPv4 is smaller than
1280B.
——
4.2.1. Single-MSS stacks - benefits and issues

NOTE: FastRetransmit/FastRecovery reduces recovery time, so a single MSS
solution relies solely on timer-based recovery.

Also it later says: “A standard
compliant TCP receiver will then immediately acknowledge the second
segment, which can improve throughput. “
NOTE: I suggest a TCP receiver will acknowledge the second MSS of data.
- The ACK_Delay paremater can also can set a bound on the time to issue
the ACK.
—-

4.3.1. Loss recovery and congestion/flow control

"Devices that have enough memory to allow larger TCP window size can
leverage a more efficient loss recovery using Fast Retransmit and
Fast Recovery [RFC5681],"

NOTE - insert "a" after "allow" and please define "larger” - i.e. "more
than 3 MSS of data".
——
Section 4.3.1. Loss recovery and congestion/flow control could usefully
be cross-referenced to 4.2.1 because these are on very similar topics.
—
The words memory and RAM are used in various places. I think memeory is
arguably a better choice of word.
—
“Another approach is to use long-lived TCP connections with
application-layer heartbeat messages. “
- No advice on how to set and use heartbeats. is there an RFC that
provides this guidance,
- Is this advice any help - from RFC 8085?

"NATs require a state timeout of 2 minutes or longer [RFC4787]. However,
empirical evidence suggests that a significant fraction of currently
deployed middleboxes unfortunately use shorter timeouts. The timeout
of 15 seconds originates with the Interactive Connectivity
Establishment (ICE) protocol [RFC5245]."
---

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-lwig-tcp-constrained-node-networks/

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-lwig-tcp-constrained-node-networks-06

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-lwig-tcp-constrained-node-networks-06