Re: [tcpm] Is this a problem?

Joe Touch <touch@ISI.EDU> Tue, 06 November 2007 23:41 UTC

Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2007 15:40:54 -0800
From: Joe Touch <touch@ISI.EDU>
To: MURALI BASHYAM <murali_bashyam@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [tcpm] Is this a problem?
Cc: Ethan Blanton <eblanton@cs.ohiou.edu>, tcpm@ietf.org, Lloyd Wood <L.Wood@surrey.ac.uk>

MURALI BASHYAM wrote:
> Writes may not block here, since there is space in the socket send buffer to accomodate the response tail.

Sure. In which case you have a background timer. Either way, your
problem is solved.

You seem to want to interpret this as a unique DOS attack based on
TCP-specific info that differentiates it from a connection that's just
slow. I agree with Ethan - if you have limited resources, you terminate
either way. If not, you hang around until you need to recover state.
Either way you don't need to differentiate the two, and an app timer
suffices.

Joe