Re: [tcpm] [OPSEC] draft-gont-tcp-security

Joe Touch <touch@ISI.EDU> Mon, 13 April 2009 21:08 UTC

Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 14:08:38 -0700
From: Joe Touch <touch@ISI.EDU>
To: "Smith, Donald" <Donald.Smith@qwest.com>
Cc: "'tcpm@ietf.org'" <tcpm@ietf.org>, "'ietf@ietf.org'" <ietf@ietf.org>, 'Joe Abley' <jabley@ca.afilias.info>, "'opsec@ietf.org'" <opsec@ietf.org>, 'Fernando Gont' <fernando@gont.com.ar>
Subject: Re: [tcpm] [OPSEC] draft-gont-tcp-security

Donald,

I'm confused by your post. You appear to believe that TCP is intended to
be secure. Note that TCP does not require either the MD5 or AO extension.

Smith, Donald wrote:

> (coffee != sleep) & (!coffee == sleep)
> Donald.Smith@qwest.com gcia

Can you explain this? Where is the integrity protection? Where is the
availability specified?

>> It's security/resiliency can be improved. After all, if that were not
>> the case, I guess you're wasting your time with TCP-AO. Or is it that
>> you believe the only way to improve a protocol is to throw
>> crypto at it?
>
> Adding crypto improves confidentiality and integrity but is counter
> productive to availability as most
> crypto engines are prone to fairly low pps resource exhaustion
> attacks.

All prevention methods are susceptible to computational resource
attacks, since all increase the operations performed on a packet. It is
commonly assumed that this is a desirable tradeoff, and that the
computational resources can be totally protected with line-rate
dedicated computation (e.g., hardware assist).

Joe