Re: [tcpm] New ID available: TCP Option for Transparent Middlebox Discovery

"Mahdavi, Jamshid" <jamshid.mahdavi@bluecoat.com> Fri, 14 August 2009 16:14 UTC

Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 09:13:22 -0700
From: "Mahdavi, Jamshid" <jamshid.mahdavi@bluecoat.com>
To: "Knutsen, Andrew" <andrew.knutsen@bluecoat.com>, "Eddy, Wesley M. (GRC-MS00)[Verizon]" <wesley.m.eddy@nasa.gov>
Cc: "Frederick, Ron" <ron.frederick@bluecoat.com>, "Li, Qing" <qing.li@bluecoat.com>, tcpm@ietf.org, "Yeh, Wei Jen" <weijen.yeh@bluecoat.com>
Subject: Re: [tcpm] New ID available: TCP Option for Transparent Middlebox Discovery

I'd like to add one thing to Andrew's last point regarding
interoperability.

We tried to design the option specification to allow for companies with
proprietary protocols to do discovery via the OUI ("Private") mechanism.
In this case the expectation is that the option is largely used in a
"Private" fashion -- in our case, one Blue Coat device finding another
Blue Coat device.

For cases where there is a desire for real interoperability between
multiple products from different vendors and/or open source packages,
our hope is that such applications would define a non-private "device
type" and have this allocated by IANA.  A suitable RFC would have to be
provided specifying how discovery for that device type is supposed to
work and that is really where things would open up for anyone to be able
to use this option in an interoperable fashion.

I can try to give one hypothetical example of what this might look like.
In HTTP, browsers provide slightly different formatting for the URL
depending on whether they are using a proxy or speaking directly to a
server.  When companies write transparent HTTP proxies, they must deal
with the server format of the URL.

One could imagine a transparent middlebox discovery option defined for
the purpose of discovering transparent HTTP proxies.  If present, the
application (the web browser) could adjust the HTTP header to be more
suitable for an HTTP proxy.

This is somewhat of a contrived example since no one really needs this
today, but we've defined the option formatting to allow for
standardization of such mechanisms that would allow applications to
discover and cooperate with middleboxes in the path (if they are present
and if they are interested in such cooperation).

--J