[tcpm] draft-ietf-tcpm-rfc793bis-14: Section 3.4

<mohamed.boucadair@orange.com> Wed, 31 July 2019 06:58 UTC

From: mohamed.boucadair@orange.com
To: Wesley Eddy <wes@mti-systems.com>, "tcpm@ietf.org" <tcpm@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2019 06:58:30 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.114.13.245]
Subject: [tcpm] draft-ietf-tcpm-rfc793bis-14: Section 3.4

Re-,

Can we update this text as follows:

OLD:

   Several examples of connection initiation follow.  Although these
   examples do not show connection synchronization using data-carrying
   segments, this is perfectly legitimate, so long as the receiving TCP
   doesn't deliver the data to the user until it is clear the data is
   valid (i.e., the data must be buffered at the receiver until the
          ^^^^           ^^^^^^^
   connection reaches the ESTABLISHED state).  The three-way handshake
                                           ^^^^
   reduces the possibility of false connections.  It is the
   implementation of a trade-off between memory and messages to provide
   information for this checking.

NEW:

   Several examples of connection initiation follow.  Although these
   examples do not show connection synchronization using data-carrying
   segments, this is perfectly legitimate, so long as the receiving TCP
   doesn't deliver the data to the user until it is clear the data is
   valid (e.g., the data is buffered at the receiver until the
          ^^^^           ^^
   connection reaches the ESTABLISHED state given that the three-way handshake
   reduces the possibility of false connections).  It is the
   implementation of a trade-off between memory and messages to provide
   information for this checking.

Rationale:
* The key requirement is: "doesn't deliver the data to the user until it is clear the data is valid". This one is maintained as it is.
* Waiting for the 3HWS completion is only an example to fulfil the above requirement.
* Allow for future 0-RTT validation methods without requiring an update to RFC793bis: For example, if TFO is promoted to Standard track, there won't be a need to update RFC793bis.

Cheers,
Med