RE: [tcpm] tcpsecure: how strong to recommend?

"Mitesh Dalal (mdalal)" <mdalal@cisco.com> Mon, 01 October 2007 21:55 UTC

Subject: RE: [tcpm] tcpsecure: how strong to recommend?
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2007 14:55:24 -0700
From: "Mitesh Dalal (mdalal)" <mdalal@cisco.com>
To: "Edward A. Gardner" <eag@ophidian.com>, tcpm@ietf.org
DKIM-Signature: v=0.5; a=rsa-sha256; q=dns/txt; l=5491; t=1191275729; x=1192139729; c=relaxed/simple; s=sjdkim4002; h=Content-Type:From:Subject:Content-Transfer-Encoding:MIME-Version; d=cisco.com; i=mdalal@cisco.com; z=From:=20=22Mitesh=20Dalal=20(mdalal)=22=20<mdalal@cisco.com> |Subject:=20RE=3A=20[tcpm]=20tcpsecure=3A=20how=20strong=20to=20recommend ?=20 |Sender:=20; bh=ys6Vd7FpMP2g9skARrPjlR788sqeBoMDV2bL9fIcvKM=; b=tkc6PWAicxx8BCG2RSXI4+F2JomWNZkeIIEBiu+ZcMnAgDRSsmUHuL4saRanFYekGLfu1kXD DlkmHjHeZgRtWrZFdOnB4oQUX+Xtgu7EaU5AkskV0PqVuDPubbhOPkyb;

well said Edward! I concur with your take on this and was alluding to
the same ideas that you mentioned below. To highlight your comment
again:

> In particular
> there is confusion between discussing whether implementing
> tcpsecure itself is mandatory / recommended / optional vs.
> whether some feature of tcpsecure is mandatory / recommended
> / optional, given that tcpsecure itself is implemented.

I think it does captures the debate we are having here. My
opinion is that if we view these changes as Updates to RFC793, then
they may be perceived as mandatory changes and again open discussions
around IPR, MAY/SHOULD/MUST language and so on. However if we have
a  banner statement stating that implementing these changes are
recommended/optional and enumerate situations in which they are
helpful this should alleviate a lot of opposing view.  And
once we have this statement and if a tcp implementation does decide
to have this feature then it MUST be this way for the feature to work
correctly.

So to reiterate to the group, we need an applicability statement that
highlights the implementations/deployments/applications that are
RECOMMENDED to have this fix, with others being OPTIONAL. However,
the features/changes themselves being MUST (or SHOULD, if that's what
it would take for a consensus). Is the group in agreement here?

my 0.02
Mitesh