Re: [tcpm] Separate header checksums and WiFi

Francesco Vacirca <francesco@net.infocom.uniroma1.it> Thu, 01 February 2007 10:44 UTC

Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2007 11:44:04 +0100
From: Francesco Vacirca <francesco@net.infocom.uniroma1.it>
To: Michael Welzl <michael.welzl@uibk.ac.at>
Subject: Re: [tcpm] Separate header checksums and WiFi
Cc: tcpm@ietf.org, iccrg@cs.ucl.ac.uk

Some link layers use a strongest FEC to protect header. E.g. in some
UMTS coding scheme the link layer employs a 1/3 codification for RLC
header, whereas the payload can use a different scheme (e.g. from 4/5 to
1/3)... Maybe it could be applied also to TCP. Note that this can
decrease the goodput in case of non lossy links... obviously it depends
on the ratio between useful bits and transmitted bits.

In the 802.11 standard some part of the packet (MAC header) is sent with
a different rate to be more protected against channel impairments and
also for compatibility purposes. A cross layer approach could adopt low
rate also for TCP header (also IP obviously)... but I do not think that
the benefits are more than disadvantages.

One more thing... in case of Michael experiments, are the packet losses
on the channel due to SNR fluctuations or due to MAC collisions?
In the second case, it is quite normal that the whole packet
(header+payload) is corrupted.

Francesco