Re: [tcpm] I-D Action:draft-nishida-newreno-modification-02.txt

Yoshifumi Nishida <nishida@sfc.wide.ad.jp> Tue, 02 March 2010 11:04 UTC

Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2010 20:04:16 +0900
To: tcpm@ietf.org
From: Yoshifumi Nishida <nishida@sfc.wide.ad.jp>
Subject: Re: [tcpm] I-D Action:draft-nishida-newreno-modification-02.txt

Hi People, I hope it is the right time for this..

I submitted the new version for draft-nishida-newreno-modification today.
If someone could give me any feedback, I would be grateful very much.

This draft describes the issue in Newreno. The problem I mentioned in the draft is
if the following two conditions are satisfied, the tcp connection will encounter
performance degradation.

  1: receiver uses delayed ack
  2: flightsize is 0 when tcp exits fast recovery

I believe 1 is true for most of all implementations. The question is if 2 is a
very corner case and can be negligible. I feel one of the reason why I hardly
got any response so far is that people think 2 is negligble.

So, I would like to present a simulation result here to claim that this might
not be negligble. I used ns-2.34 and created 2 TCP nodes (sender and receiver)
and created packet loss on the 10Mbps link between them. The tcp sender sent
100,000  packets to the receiver. The below table shows the number of events
where flightsize becomes 0 after fast recovery.

                 PLR=0.01   PLR=0.02   PLR=0.03   PLR=0.04   PLR=0.05   PLR=0.06
 # of events       108        333        687       1140       1537       1916

>From this result, if PLR exceeds 0.04, the ratio of this event exceeds 1% of
packet transmissin. This affects throughput drastically as shown in the below
table. "newreno" is the current algorithm in RFC3782 and "proposed" is the
proposed algorithm in the draft.

                            throughput (kbps)

            PLR=0.01   PLR=0.02   PLR=0.03   PLR=0.04   PLR=0.05   PLR=0.06
 newreno     825.57     451.96     284.25     190.13     137.99     107.05
 proposed   1006.64     671.86     470.39     344.28     248.71     193.30

>From these results, I personally think this draft is worth being discussed.
Again, If someone could give me any feedback, I would be grateful very much.
I'm happy to discuss this at Anaheim if someone wants.

Please check detailed simulation configurations and results in the draft.

Thanks,
--
Yoshifumi Nishida
nishida@sfc.wide.ad.jp