Re: [tcpm] Is this a problem?

MURALI BASHYAM <murali_bashyam@yahoo.com> Tue, 06 November 2007 21:36 UTC

Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2007 13:36:18 -0800
From: MURALI BASHYAM <murali_bashyam@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [tcpm] Is this a problem?
To: Ethan Blanton <eblanton@cs.ohiou.edu>, Joe Touch <touch@ISI.EDU>
Cc: tcpm@ietf.org, Lloyd Wood <L.Wood@surrey.ac.uk>

The problem is also harder to solve in the HTTP context, for persistent connections, where the server
can write the tail of the HTTP response to the connection send buffer, and then it keeps the connection around
(i.e no app close) waiting for a new HTTP request from any clients out there. It has
no way of detecting whether forward progress has been made for that particular response, because it is now
completely in TCP's send buffer to deliver it. These are scenarios where it seems acceptable for TCP to accomodate
what the application wants (don't hang indefinitely to deliver that response).

Murali