RE: [tcpm] WGLC for UTO

<toby.moncaster@bt.com> Wed, 10 October 2007 15:26 UTC

Subject: RE: [tcpm] WGLC for UTO
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 16:22:18 +0100
From: toby.moncaster@bt.com
To: mallman@icir.org, tcpm@ietf.org

Generally the UTO draft seems absolutely fine and I would support it
moving to RFC. There seems no obvious reason for it to be experimental
rather than proposed standard.

I do have one potential concern and some nits:

Concern:

Section 4.1 Middleboxes suggests that "In the future, such [stateful]
firewalls may learn to parse the TCP User Timeout Option and adapt
connection state management accordingly." Would it be worth adding that
in this case this could become a potential security issue as it would
allow cooperative users to cause a stateful firewall to maintain
connection state for over 22 hours?

Nits:

Section 3:
'LOCAL_UTO' "If unspecified, it default to the default system-wide USER
TIMEOUT." change to "...defaults to the default..."

Para starting 'Before opening a connection...' "The default is to allow
this for connections that do not have a specific user timeout concerns."
delete "a"
"...to prevent UTO options from the other end to override local
application requests." change to "options from the other end overriding
local..."

Next para: "... is a reliable way to initially exchange and potentially
adapt to UTO values." add commas: "... is a reliable way to initially
exchange, and potentially adapt to, UTO values."

Section 3.1 para 1. Delete the first comma in the last sentence so it
reads: "In this case they SHOULD, however, notify the application about
the user timeout value received from the other end."

Para starting "This means that..." change last sentence (remove
nevertheless) "...it can still close or abort..."

Section 4.2 last sentence change to "Therefore, if a connection that
enables keep-alives is also using the TCP User Timeout Option, ..."

Toby

____
Toby Moncaster, <toby.moncaster@bt.com> Networks Research Centre, BT
Research
B54/70 Adastral Park, Martlesham Heath, Ipswich, IP53RE, UK.  +44 1473
648734