Re: Re IP over Satellite

Eric Travis <travis@clark.net> Tue, 16 June 1998 17:25 UTC

Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 13:25:49 -0400
From: Eric Travis <travis@clark.net>
To: John Border <border@hns.com>
cc: tcppep@lerc.nasa.gov, tcp-over-satellite@achtung.sp.trw.com
Subject: Re: Re IP over Satellite
Sender: owner-tcppep@lerc.nasa.gov

>     This is really sketchy.  I am basically fishing here.  I didn't find
> anything at the IETF web site...
>
>     My management has heard (nth-hand) that there is some kind of statement
> or draft associated with the IETF that says that either IP or TCP will
> not work over satellite links with delays longer than 125 milliseconds.

Hmmm... FUD still lives. Darn - and it looked like we had gotten beyond
the LEO versus GEO versus ... versus fibre wars. :o( There is room and
applicability for all of these - that's the pitch the industry needs to
be making; Ultimately, we know that we are going to see a heterogeneous
mix of carrier technology, this is a good thing.

I have seen some "industry" white-papers that present this position, but
they were written by folks who are [planning on] selling LEO services.
There is no IETF associated document that I'm aware of that overtly
presents this position. I'm hoping that there aren't any documents
that are being misinterpreted.

> Has anyone heard of this or is aware of where this may have come from?
> It sounds like propaganda from LEO proponents but if there is any
> technical merit behind such an assertion I definately want to see it...

If you like, I'll send you a private pointer to a white paper or two
which reflects this opinion;

You always have to be in lawyer mode when reading these things; The
facts are generally correct, but the extrapolated conclusions have all
the credibility of something written by a marketing department...

If you find the rumored document which prompted your query, can you send
the pointers my way? These types of assertions ultimately do nobody any
good - they need to be brought to ground ASAP.

Regards,

Eric