Re: [tcpPrague] New Version Notification for draft-ietf-tcpm-accurate-ecn-02.txt

Bob Briscoe <research@bobbriscoe.net> Sat, 19 November 2016 15:40 UTC

From: Bob Briscoe <research@bobbriscoe.net>
To: Mirja Kuehlewind <ietf@kuehlewind.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2016 13:57:42 +0000
Cc: tcpm IETF list <tcpm@ietf.org>, tsvwg IETF list <tsvwg@ietf.org>, TCP Prague List <tcpPrague@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [tcpPrague] New Version Notification for draft-ietf-tcpm-accurate-ecn-02.txt

Mirja,

During the discussion on draft-briscoe-tsvwg-ecn-l4s-id, you raised the
concern about the CE marking being ambiguous (it could have been ECT(0)
or ECT(1) before marking). The draft says why there is a low risk CE
marks will arrive at a second bottleneck, and why the risk of causing
spurious retransmissions is lower still (there have to be >3 contiguous
CE markings from the upstream queue). It's quoted below for your
convenience.

I think we should also the following to this text (as pointed out
recently by Koen):
     "On the plus side, misclassifying a CE-marked Classic packet
delivers the congestion notification to the end-to-end transport without
any Classic queuing delay. "

    Risk of reordering classic CE packets:  Having to classify all CE
       packets as L4S risks some classic CE packets arriving early, which
       is a form of reordering.  Reordering can cause the TCP sender to
       retransmit spuriously.  However, one or two packets delivered
       early does not cause any spurious retransmissions because the
       subsequent packets continue to move the cumulative acknowledgement
       boundary forwards.  Anyway, the risk of reordering would be low,
       because: i) it is quite unusual to experience more than one
       bottleneck queue on a path; ii) even then, reordering would only
       occur if there was simultaneous mixing of classic and L4S traffic,
       which would be more unlikely in an access link, which is where
       most bottlenecks are located; iii) even then, spurious
       retransmissions would only occur if a contiguous sequence of three
       or more classic CE packets from one bottleneck arrived at the
       next, which should in itself happen very rarely with a good AQM.
       The risk would be completely eliminated in AQMs that were
       transport-aware (but they should not need to be);

Bob