Re: [tcpPrague] [aqm] L4S status update

"De Schepper, Koen (Nokia - BE)" <koen.de_schepper@nokia-bell-labs.com> Fri, 25 November 2016 18:34 UTC

From: "De Schepper, Koen (Nokia - BE)" <koen.de_schepper@nokia-bell-labs.com>
To: "Bless, Roland (TM)" <roland.bless@kit.edu>, Ingemar Johansson S <ingemar.s.johansson@ericsson.com>, Bob Briscoe <ietf@bobbriscoe.net>, Dave Täht <dave@taht.net>, tsvwg IETF list <tsvwg@ietf.org>, TCP Prague List <tcpPrague@ietf.org>, AQM IETF list <aqm@ietf.org>, tcpm IETF list <tcpm@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2016 18:34:10 +0000
x-originating-ip: [135.239.27.39]
Subject: Re: [tcpPrague] [aqm] L4S status update

Hi Roland, Ingemar, Bob, Dave,

I see congestion control mainly as an inter-flow-protocol that regulates how to share the bandwidth. Up to now it was agreed to adapt the rate to 1/sqrt(p).

Any congestion control deviating from this rule has been proven to fail. Ignoring drop will get you either pushed away, or you push away other traffic. I think most people agree with this?

Also BBR will face the same problem if it keeps on ignoring drop. I tried a few long BBR flows next to long Cubic flows on our L4S testbed and currently (depending on the RTT, rate and queue size) it either starves itself, starves Cubic, or oscillate between the 2 previous cases over 20 second intervals. I also tried only BBR flows on a PIE AQM. Same story there, either high drop (15%), no drop or oscillations, also depending on the same parameters. Try it yourself and see... I see a lot of value in the other BBR mechanisms though, but not the drop ignoring aspects.

I don't see solutions without network support when new congestion controls ignore drop and still need to support other tcp flows which are deployed now...... Up to now there are at least 2 network supported solutions:  DualQ Coupling that is an inter-protocol-translator (and therefor needs to know both protocols) and complete flow isolation like FQ which is the inter-flow-protocol inhibitor (for all flows) and takes over the end-systems role to share the BW (so not really according to the end-to-end principle).

For L4S, our main goal should be to define a new inter-flow-protocol between L4S flows (L4S drafts assumes rate adapted based on ect(1) marking probability). Ones this is decided, we can couple it to the Classic drop/mark law. The network needs to support the coupling, as it is the only one that knows the drop and the marking of both classes. It depends on the end-systems, but it is according to the end-to-end principle, because it is the least and most simple role that the network can have.

If a delay based protocol can be defined (like rate = F(queue delay)? ) then it could also be coupled to a classic drop probability with network support. But I don't think there is a proposal available. Also I don't think a delay based protocol can achieve the same low latency results as an explicit signal.

Koen.