Re: [tcpPrague] Enough energy for an L4S/TCP Prague BoF?

Gorry Fairhurst <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk> Thu, 16 June 2016 12:48 UTC

To: Bob Briscoe <ietf@bobbriscoe.net>
From: Gorry Fairhurst <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2016 13:48:11 +0100
Cc: John Leslie <john@jlc.net>, TCP Prague List <tcpPrague@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [tcpPrague] Enough energy for an L4S/TCP Prague BoF?

Hi Bob,

As it currently stands, I think a proposal to change the meaning of the
ECN base spec should come to TSVWG, as should updating the experimental
codepoint use currently assigned to ECN-NONCE. This would mean
re-defining ECT(0) as not equivalent to ECT(1) within the default (BE)
diffserv class - currently this is only permitted as an alternate behaviour.

I think it could perhaps be argued that the meaning of CE is not
significantly changed, rather the marking behaviour and interpretation
would be updated for endpoints using the new proposed method. A short
draft that notes the impact on existing RFCs would be good as a step
forward.

For the moment, let's first discuss at the BoF what is needed - deciding
where to get standards progressed comes later.

Gorry