Subject: IEEE T-SMC CFP: Technologies that promote computational intelligence, openness and programmability in networks and Internet services
From: "S.Karnouskos" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 17:02:21 +0200

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,

The *extended* deadline for the IEEE T-SMC CFP on
"Technologies that promote computational intelligence, openness 
and programmability in networks and Internet services"
is approaching fast.

Please feel free to further forward this CFP to people you think might be interested .

Best Regards,
Stamatis Karnouskos

------------------------------------------------------------------

	IEEE - Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics

                Call for Papers - Special Issue on

     Technologies that promote computational intelligence, openness and
             programmability in networks and Internet services

Guest Editors:

   * W. Pedrycz     (Univ. of Alberta, Canada),
   * A. Vasilakos   (Hellenic Aerospace Industry,S.A.),
   * S. Karnouskos  (Fraunhofer-FOKUS, Germany)

 Publication: Spring 2003

The Internet has witnessed the last years a rapid increase in its
popularity, by offering new services to its users. However the increased
complexity of the systems, the growing needs for flexibility,
fault-tolerance, higher quality of service, interoperability, security,
reduced time-to-market service introduction and personalization, demand the
development of sophisticated technologies that are capable of dealing
effectively with these challenges.

Active and programmable networking aims at easing the introduction of new
network services by adding dynamic programmability to network devices and
making aspects of the programmability accessible to third-party vendors and
users via open interfaces. Open and programmable network elements are
redefining network software architectures and move control and management
systems away from traditional closed/rigid solutions.

Computational Intelligence (CI) is viewed as a synergy of technologies of
granular computing (especially fuzzy sets), neural networks and
evolutionary computing has become an ideal design vehicle supporting the
design of intelligent systems. In this capacity, the role of CI in the
development of the sophisticated network architectures is profound. The
main objective of this special issue of the IEEE T-SMC Journal is to act as
a channel that brings the ideas of CI to the network area in a systematic,
coherent and comprehensive fashion.

Authors are encouraged to submit high-quality original papers dealing with
various theoretical and practical issues dealing with Computational
Intelligence, active networking, intelligent mobile agents,
openness/portability/interoperability of services, middleware for
intelligent service creation, deployment and management of new network
applications etc.

Within the context of this special issue, topics of particular interest
include but are not limited to:

        *  Active and Programmable Networks
        *  Service creation platforms and enabling technologies
        *  Telecommunication Network Architectures
        *  Communications Security, Privacy and Manageability
        *  Integrated Services
        *  Dynamic, data-driven application systems
        *  Service dissemination and discovery protocols
        *  Programming paradigms, applications, and requirements for active grids
        *  Nomadic User Support and management
        *  Web based systems and services
        *  Global Service Portability
        *  Emerging Technologies and directions
        *  Internet & Telecom applications and services
        *  Neural Networks
        *  Fuzzy Logic
        *  Genetic Algorithms & Programming
        *  Data Mining Techniques
        *  Adaptive Computing Systems
        *  Knowledge Based Systems
        *  Hybrid Intelligent Systems

IMPORTANT DATES

	Submission: 		31st August 2002 (extended)
	Acceptance decision: 	30th November 2002
	Final paper due: 	31st January 2002
	Publication date: 	Spring 2003

SUBMISSION GUIDELINES

Authors are invited to submit full papers, following the templates
available from the publisher in electronic form (PDF preferred) to
the Guest Editor at the following address:

     Prof. Witold Pedrycz
     Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering
     University of Alberta
     Edmonton T6R 2G7 Canada

Or to send an electronic copy via e-mail or the URL from where the file
can be downloaded, to any of the guest editors:

   *  W. Pedrycz     [email-masked]
   *  A. Vasilakos   [email-masked]
   *  S. Karnouskos  [email-masked]

Please include keywords identifying the main topic of your paper.
Full details of submission or further information are available from the
journal's web site http://ieee-smc.org/

This CFP is also available in HTML, PDF and plain
text  format from http://www.fokus.fraunhofer.de/usr/karnouskos/private/smc/