Re: [Teas] IANA managed modules for TE object types

Italo Busi <Italo.Busi@huawei.com> Mon, 16 May 2022 17:27 UTC

From: Italo Busi <Italo.Busi@huawei.com>
To: t petch <ietfa@btconnect.com>, Tarek Saad <tsaad.net@gmail.com>, "teas@ietf.org" <teas@ietf.org>
CC: Adrian Farrel <adrian@olddog.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 17:27:24 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.81.206.176]
Subject: Re: [Teas] IANA managed modules for TE object types

Hi Tom,

Please find below some replies to your comments

Thanks, Italo

[Italo Busi]
This is a bit unfortunate. However, the association-type identity defined in RFC 8776 is not yet used by any standard model so we can consider this new approach deprecate the corresponding identities in draft-busi-teas-te-types-update which has been recently proposed to TEAS WG.
[/Italo Busi]

> Politically, the IPR rules of the IETF allow you to go ahead and make an IANA-
> maintained module but I find such behaviour not just discourteous but likely
> to induce errors.  If this is to progress, then it should be in the PCE WG with
> their active support and technical input.
>
> For example, association-type in IANA has an entry such as
> 5 Double-sided Bidirectional LSP Association.
> This is useless for YANG.  YANG is character-oriented and the nodes in
> RFC8776 are identity.  To identify entries by numeric value, you should use
> enumeration not identity and change RFC8776, teas-te, and perhaps all the
> modules that augment it, to suit.  This has added value with change control.
> Anyone can add anything anywhere to an identity.  This is an advantage when
> vendors may want to add their own values.  Here the PCEP registry is
> Standards Action so the higher bar of enumeration, requiring a revised module,
> is a better fit.
>
> For an identity, then that entry has to be turned into a unique, relevant, short
> string.  Who has the technical skill to do that for Double-sided Bidirectional LSP
> Association?
>
> I would not trust IANA to do that without expert input from e.g. the PCE WG
> so it should be the PCE WG that does the related work.  I think that that could
> involve adding a new column to the existing IANA registry which provides the
> YANG identifying string and so provides the mapping between existing value
> and string.

[Italo Busi]
I agree with you that identities would be preferable than an enumeration to give more implementation flexibility

The proposal to add a new column to the IANA registry looks good to me
[\Italo Busi]