Re: [Teas] I-D Action: draft-ietf-teas-yang-path-computation-03.txt

Igor Bryskin <Igor.Bryskin@huawei.com> Wed, 28 November 2018 18:32 UTC

From: Igor Bryskin <Igor.Bryskin@huawei.com>
To: Olivier Dugeon <olivier.dugeon@orange.com>, "Belotti, Sergio (Nokia - IT/Vimercate)" <sergio.belotti@nokia.com>, "internet-drafts@ietf.org" <internet-drafts@ietf.org>, "i-d-announce@ietf.org" <i-d-announce@ietf.org>
CC: "teas@ietf.org" <teas@ietf.org>, Italo Busi <Italo.Busi@huawei.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2018 18:32:04 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.47.153.158]
Subject: Re: [Teas] I-D Action: draft-ietf-teas-yang-path-computation-03.txt

Hi Oliver,

The process you described seems quite lengthy and complex.  What exacerbates things further is the fact that the described distributed path computation is sequential in nature because each step of VSPT computation depends on the previous one. I’d like to have your opinion on the alternative approach:

1)      The domains that could be involved in the eventual end-to-end path(s) (including all domains) are identified;

2)      T he PCEs of the domains are simultaneously instructed to compute or use pre-computed  abstract topologies in the form of stateful paths connecting:

Source/destination node to all border nodes in case of source/destination domains;

Each border node to every other  border node in case of transit domains;

3)      Merge via inter-domain links the provided in 2) abstract topologies into a single topology homogenously describing the multi-domain network;

4)      Use said merged topology to select one or more end-to-end paths connecting the path computation request source to destination;

5)      Release the abstract topologies or preserve them (e.g. provided by transit domains) for future similar path computations

Note the parallelism of the approach and the ability to yield multiple paths, including diverse paths crossing different domain sequences, which would be very hard to achieve with the BRPC approach IMHO.

Thanks,
Igor