Re: [Teas] New term for the underlay construct used for slice realization

"Dongjie (Jimmy)" <jie.dong@huawei.com> Wed, 11 August 2021 02:44 UTC

From: "Dongjie (Jimmy)" <jie.dong@huawei.com>
To: Lizhenbin <lizhenbin@huawei.com>, "teas@ietf.org" <teas@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2021 02:43:59 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.108.243.143]
Subject: Re: [Teas] New term for the underlay construct used for slice realization

Hi Robin,

Thanks for the summary of the background and the analysis about the characteristics of the underlay construct for slice realization, please see my comments inline:

[Jie] I'm OK with defining a new term specialized for the context of network slice realization, as we already have a neutral term for generic purpose.

> 2.	If the answer to question 1 is YES, should it reflect the following
> characteristics?
>
> a.	It is about the underlay
> b.	It is about the partitioned resources used to deliver the network slice
> services
> c.	It allows the 1:1, N:1, and 1:N mapping models between the network slice
> services and the underlay construct. The 1:1 and N:1 mapping may be
> straightforward. Does it also make sense to divide the elements or traffic flows
> in a single network slice service to carry them in different underlay constructs?

Yes to all. For the 1:N mapping in c, some further analysis about the use cases could be helpful.

> Lastly, here are some candidates of the "new term":
>
> Option 1: The network slice service is called "overlay slice", then the underlay
> construct is called "underlay slice".
>
> Option 2: The network slice service is called "service slice", then the underlay
> construct is called "resource slice".
>
> Your opinion about these candidates are much appreciated. You may also
> propose other new term if it complies with the above two points.

[Jie] For slice specific new terms, here are some other candidates:

Option 3: The network slice service is called "network slice", the underlay construct is called "SUN (Slice Underlay Network)"

Option 4: The network slice service is called "network slice", the underlay construct is called "SRN (Slice Resource Network)"

Option 5: The network slice service is called "network slice", the underlay construct is called "STN (Slice Transport Network or Slice TE Network)"

Best regards,
Jie