Re: [Teas] Types within ietf-te-path-computation and ietf-te-types Modules

Igor Bryskin <Igor.Bryskin@huawei.com> Wed, 16 January 2019 12:56 UTC

From: Igor Bryskin <Igor.Bryskin@huawei.com>
To: "julien.meuric@orange.com" <julien.meuric@orange.com>, Igor Bryskin <Igor.Bryskin@huawei.com>, "teas@ietf.org" <teas@ietf.org>
CC: "esther.lerouzic@orange.com" <esther.lerouzic@orange.com>, "ahmed.triki@orange.com" <ahmed.triki@orange.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2019 12:56:07 +0000
Subject: Re: [Teas] Types within ietf-te-path-computation and ietf-te-types Modules

Hi Julien,

To your A2.1:

te-node-id (a property of a te topology node) is conceptually different/orthoganal  from TE-router-id ( a property of a TE enabled routing protocol speaker). There are many reasons to this, to name a couple:
1. Tthere could be TE networks (especially in cs layers) that are run without routing protocols;
2. TE topology could be abstract with a te-node representing an arbitrary segment of the underlay network.

TE routing is just one way (albeit important) a te topology could be discovered/managed and the RFCs you mentioned are as important for te topologies as,say, RSVP RFCs are important for te tunnels, i.e. we can onlly talk about reference points and convenience of
implementaion of popular use cases, but not something that needs to be comformant to universally.

To your B1.1:

Tunnel termination point normally represents a physical device where a TE tunnel is terminated, its clients are adoptrd, etc. (e.g. WDM transponder) with a certain phyisical address, which may or may not fit in 64, 128, etc. bit, hence the type is defined as binary. On the other  hand, link termination point (or tp per I2RS topology model) is a numbered or unnumbered identifier of a link terminated on a node. There is no need for sharing types between the two because they are totally unrelated.

Cheers,
Igor