[Teas] A Data Plane TE/QoS Machnism

"Liubing (Leo)" <leo.liubing@huawei.com> Wed, 10 July 2019 09:59 UTC

From: "Liubing (Leo)" <leo.liubing@huawei.com>
To: "teas@ietf.org" <teas@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2019 09:57:19 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.111.191.175]
Subject: [Teas] A Data Plane TE/QoS Machnism

Hi Dear all,

I've uploaded a new draft (as below), which introduces a mechanism to allow the devices to switch flows among multiple paths between a pairs of Ingress/Egress routers. The flow switch is based on real-time measurement of congestion situation of the paths.

Such mechanism could be used to do load balancing, SLA assurance and reliability etc. And we've had a commercial router hardware based prototype in our lab (SRv6 data plane) for network load balancing use case.

Since the mechanism is to adjust the paths, I guess it might be overall within the scope of our WG. Your comments would be appreciated very much!

Best regards,
Bing

*************************************Draft Info*************************************

Name:                  draft-liu-ican

Revision:              00

Title:                     Instant Congestion Assessment Network (iCAN) for Data Plane Traffic Engineering

Document date: 2019-07-08

Group:                  Individual Submission

Pages:                  8

Htmlized:       https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-liu-ican-00

Htmlized:       https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-liu-ican

Abstract:

   iCAN (instant Congestion Assessment Network) is a set of mechanisms

   running directly on network nodes:

   o  To adjust the flows paths based on real-time measurement of the

      candidate paths.

   o  The measurement is to reflect the congestion situation of each

      path, so that the ingress nodes could decide which flows need to

      be switched from a path to another.

   This is something that current SDN and TE technologies can hardly

   achieve:

   o  SDN Controller is slow and far from the data plane, it is neither

      able to assess the real-time congestion situation of each path,

      nor able to assure the data plane always go as expected

      (especially in SRv6 scenarios).  However, iCAN can work with SDN

      perfectly: controller planning multi-path transmission, and iCAN

      does the flow optimization automatically.

   o  Traditional TE is not able to adjust the flow paths in real-time.