Re: [Teas] Benjamin Kaduk's Discuss on draft-ietf-teas-yang-te-types-10: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu> Fri, 04 October 2019 21:02 UTC

Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2019 14:02:17 -0700
From: Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu>
To: Tarek Saad <tsaad=40juniper.net@dmarc.ietf.org>
Cc: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-teas-yang-te-types@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-teas-yang-te-types@ietf.org>, Lou Berger <lberger@labn.net>, "teas-chairs@ietf.org" <teas-chairs@ietf.org>, "teas@ietf.org" <teas@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Teas] Benjamin Kaduk's Discuss on draft-ietf-teas-yang-te-types-10: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

On Tue, Oct 01, 2019 at 05:41:37PM +0000, Tarek Saad wrote:
> Hi Benjamin,
>
> Thank you very much for the thorough review and for the valuable comments. We have uploaded revision -11 that attempts to address those comments. Please see inline for detailed responses. Let us know if there are further outstanding comments.
>
> On 8/20/19, 1:27 PM, "Benjamin Kaduk via Datatracker" <noreply@ietf.org> wrote:
>
>     Benjamin Kaduk has entered the following ballot position for
>     draft-ietf-teas-yang-te-types-10: Discuss
>
>     When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
>     email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
>     introductory paragraph, however.)
>

>     Please refer to https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.ietf.org_iesg_statement_discuss-2Dcriteria.html&d=DwICaQ&c=HAkYuh63rsuhr6Scbfh0UjBXeMK-ndb3voDTXcWzoCI&r=Kd6NW5ctLWr7GB646PVmMByvi8wQxPILpKhHvGQeRHY&m=hnPuRIqXqStfK232Nk2hmq9WsTD2edVNgVLywB7I9S8&s=-tmE5kZMwh42TgMAaC3M4xeGTxYdYNt5fZ7gnVI59m0&e=
>
>     for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.
>

>     The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
>     https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__datatracker.ietf.org_doc_draft-2Dietf-2Dteas-2Dyang-2Dte-2Dtypes_&d=DwICaQ&c=HAkYuh63rsuhr6Scbfh0UjBXeMK-ndb3voDTXcWzoCI&r=Kd6NW5ctLWr7GB646PVmMByvi8wQxPILpKhHvGQeRHY&m=hnPuRIqXqStfK232Nk2hmq9WsTD2edVNgVLywB7I9S8&s=RkaTEY5gt6bhkr_3YkKb0CkmkQyY4-GYjfuvWkkKVaQ&e=
>

>     ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>     DISCUSS:
>     ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>     There's a couple points (describe further in the comment section) that
>     I'd like to get a bit more clarity on:
>
>     (1) the semantics of admin-group hex strings of length smaller than 11
> [TS]: RFC6991 defines the hex-string as stream of octets - separated by colon. The below are acceptable representations that result in same value (bit-position 0 is set).
> 01
> 00:01
> 00:00:00:01

I'm not coming to the conclusion just based on what's written in this
document and RFC 6991.  You seem to be assuming that the hex string is
mapped to the four-octet bitmask using a little-endian representation of
the bitmask with zero padding, but I can't find where that's stated.

>      (2) the units for the te-bandwidth numerical values (and in what cases
>     no units are needed), and for performance-metrics-*-way-bandwidth values
> [TS]: The unit is technology dependent. For example for packet, the example we give in the description is inline with the type bandwidth-ieee-float32 defined in RFC8294. We can clarify this further in description if needed.

I was most concerned about the "packet switching type" since my cursory
look at OTN and/or DWDM indicated that the listed parameters do imply an
absolute bandwidth.  Please do further clarify what the units are for the
float32 value used for packet-switching types.

>     (3) whether threshold-accelerated-advertisement's use of relative vs.
>     absolute values requires any special handling
> [TS]: these are absolute values and inline with the rfc7810#section-5 and rfc7471#section-5

[comments below]

>     (4) whether we want to specify any requirements/error-handling/etc. when
>     there is potential for "nonsense" configuration, such as a
>     max-constraint being configured as numerically smaller than a
>     min-constraint
> [TS]: We have some checks where it was needed. Implementations can also make additional restrictive checks with a deviations if needed.

Okay.

>     (5) what the "variation" in the te-packet-types module's leafs is
>     intending to measure.
> [TS]: the per link delay variation as defined in RFC7823.

I looked at RFC 7823 and it doesn't help me very much.  Is there a
mathematical formula for what it measures?

> [...]
>         base path-computation-method;
>         description
>           [...]
>           to the external source to aid computation); and the path that is
>           returned by the external source is not required to provide a
>           wholly resolved path back to the originating system - that is to
>           say, some local computation may also be required";
>
>     nit: "provide a wholly resolved path back to the originating system"
>     could potentially be read ambiguously about whether "back to the
>     originating system refers to the path or where the (partial) result is
>     returned to.
> [TS]: reworded:
> NEW:
> ..................................................................................... The path that is
> returned by the external source may require further local
> computation on the device.";
>

>       identity te-tunnel-type {
>         [...]
>
>     There is no need for a mp2p or mp2mp tunnel type?
>
>       identity tunnel-state-type {
>         description
>           "Base identity for TE tunnel states";
> [TS]: no, none standardized for TE exists as of yet.
>
>     This is just "tunnel state" not "operational state"?
>
>       identity lsp-state-type {
>         description
>           "Base identity for TE LSP states";
>
>     Is there a state machine for which transitions between states based on
>     this identity are allowed, or is it basically just a full mesh?
> [TS]: we've only modelled possible state outputs. There is no standard state-machine. Implementations may execute a state-machine for transitions, but we did not think it needs to be covered by the model.
>
>       identity path-invalidation-action-drop-tear {
>         base path-invalidation-action-type;
>         description
>           "TE path invalidation action tear";
>
>     Is there a reference for this (or the other
>     path-invalidation-action-type)?  My naive reading wants to complete it
>     to "teardown" but I have low confidence that is correct.
> [TS]: renamed identity 'teardown' and added reference to RFC3209 section 2.5 talks about these general principles.
>
>       identity path-metric-optimize-includes {
>         [...]
>       identity path-metric-optimize-excludes {
>         base path-metric-type;
>         description
>           "A metric that optimizes the number of excluded resources
>            specified in a set";
>
>     optimizes to minimize or maximize it?
> [TS]: Update to:
> NEW:
>           "A metric that optimizes to a maximum the number of excluded resources
>            specified in a set";
>
>       grouping performance-metrics-one-way-bandwidth {
>         [....]
>
>     What are the units on the bandwidth values herein?  bits per second?
> [TS]: The type bandwidth-ieee-float32 is defined in RFC8294. The expected units are bytes per second (this is also inline with rfc3630 and rfc5305#section-3.6).

I note that RFC 5305 even feels a need for a parenthetical: "units are
bytes (not bits!) per second".  To me, the risk/reward is clearly in favor
of being explicit.

>           container threshold-accelerated-advertisement {
>             description
>               "When the difference between the last advertised value and
>                current measured value exceed this threshold, anomalous
>                announcement will be triggered.";
>             uses performance-metrics-thresholds;
>
>     Are we reusing the performance-metrics-threshold container, which up
>     until now has been used for absolute measurements, to hold the
>     corresponding relative values (differences)?
> [TS]: yes, but these are currently defined as absolute threshold values - not differences/relative.

The "difference between the last advertised value and current measured
value" is a difference with respect to a baseline, which, while still
measured in the same units, is qualitatively different than an absolute
value (i.e., against zero baseline).  The difference is much smaller than
when we go to a percentage difference, where the units change, but the
semantics are slightly different.  Anyway, it sounds like you don't think
there is a problem here, so I can accpet that.

>       grouping optimization-metric-entry {
>         [...]
>         leaf weight {
>
>     Where is the sense of the 'weight' leaf defined?  That is, to larger
>     weight values get more traffic or less traffic?
> [TS]: this weight is input to optimization function when trying to optimize for multiple metrics. A higher weight signifies a more important metric when trying to find optimal path.

What reference chain can the reader follow to learn this fact?

>         container path-srlgs-names {
>             [...]
>             leaf-list names {
>               type string;
>               description "List named SRLGs";
>
>     nit: missing "of"?
> [TS]: updated.
>
>       grouping generic-path-disjointness {
>         description "Path disjointness grouping";
>         leaf disjointness {
>           type te-path-disjointness;
>           description
>             "The type of resource disjointness.
>              Under primary path, disjointness level applies to
>              all secondary LSPs. Under secondary, disjointness
>              level overrides the one under primary";
>
>     What does "under" mean?  It seems like it has something to do with the
>     position in the hierarchy where this grouping gets instantiated, which
>     is potentially subtle.
> [TS]: Reworded to clarify.
> NEW:
>             "The type of resource disjointness.
>              When configured for a primary path, the disjointness level applies to
>              all secondary LSPs. When configured for a secondary path, disjointness
>              level overrides the one configured for the primary path";
>
>         container path-properties {
>           config false;
>           [...]
>           container path-route-objects {
>             description
>               "Container for the list of route objects either returned by
>                the computation engine or actually used by an LSP";
>             list path-route-object {
>               key index;
>               ordered-by user;
>
>     (How do 'config false' and 'ordered-by user' interact?)
> [TS]: We discussed this within the authors. We think ‘ordered-by user’ for config false leafs will be ignored -- and hence would fallback to the default (‘ordered-by system’) as per RFC6020. Note, we think this is a common behavior that affect NMDA model(s) when extracting applied configuration. Please correct our thinking if this is not true and we’ll try to address it.

I have essentially no domain knowledge on this point; we'd need to call in
some outside expert if we feel an authoritative answer is important.

Thanks for the updates,

Ben