Re: [Teas] Roman Danyliw's Abstain on draft-ietf-teas-native-ip-scenarios-09: (with COMMENT)

Aijun Wang <wangaijun@tsinghua.org.cn> Thu, 03 October 2019 04:00 UTC

From: Aijun Wang <wangaijun@tsinghua.org.cn>
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2019 12:00:07 +0800
Cc: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, draft-ietf-teas-native-ip-scenarios@ietf.org, Lou Berger <lberger@labn.net>, teas-chairs@ietf.org, lberger@labn.net, teas@ietf.org
To: Roman Danyliw <rdd@cert.org>
Subject: Re: [Teas] Roman Danyliw's Abstain on draft-ietf-teas-native-ip-scenarios-09: (with COMMENT)

Hi, Roman:
Thanks for your review.
The primary aim of this draft is to illustrate the TE scenarios in Native IP network, which is the base of other two documents:

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-teas-pce-native-ip-04 (solution draft)

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-pce-pcep-extension-native-ip-04 (PCEP extension)

The simulation results in this draft just want to convince the reader the addition gain with the help of global view and central control, based on the optimization results under the similar topology size and traffic matrix pattern as that in the real network.

The authors of this draft are overlapping with the authors of the reference published paper. We have mentioned this reference in the draft. A normative reference to it will be added in the upcoming updated version.

More responses for your comments are inline. Wish these all can convince you for the future vote of this draft.

Thanks in advance

Aijun Wang
China Telecom

> On Oct 3, 2019, at 10:37, Roman Danyliw via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> wrote:
>
> Roman Danyliw has entered the following ballot position for
> draft-ietf-teas-native-ip-scenarios-09: Abstain

> introductory paragraph, however.)

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-teas-native-ip-scenarios/

> COMMENT:
>
> ==[ Summary
> I am balloting as an ABSTAIN because the primary contribution of this draft
> appears to be the simulation results.  However, these results appear to be
> already published in greater detail in
> http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/8657733.
[Aijun Wang]: please see the above explanation.
> I have no commentary on the utility of the CDDR Scenarios found in Section 3.
>
> ==[ Details
>
> I have reservations about the approach taken in Section 4.  As a stand-alone
> write-up, it insufficiently describes the simulations in question.
> Furthermore, the content in this section copies verbatim or re-phrases the
> source material of these simulations from an already published academic paper
> (without citation).  See http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/8657733.  In
> particular:
>
> -- The entirely of Section 4.1 (text and diagrams) is a cut-and-paste from
> Section V.B of the academic paper.
>
> -- The simulation results of Section 4.4 in this draft align with the analysis
> in Section V.C of the academic paper.
>
> -- The simulation results of Section 4.5 in this draft align with analysis in
> Section V.D of the academic paper.
[Aijun Wang]: The authors of theses two documentaries are overlapping. We just abstract the simulation process and results from the academic paper. A normative reference will be added later.

> Without the benefit of the academic paper cited above, I would have had the
> following feedback on Section 4:
>
> -- Section 4.  What use case is being simulated isn’t clear.  The text is
> Section 3.1 states that “Section 4 of this document describes the simulation
> results of this use case”.  However, the topology for the simulation described
> in Section 4.2 looks different than the one in Figure 1 (of Section 3.1).

[Aijun Wang] Figure 6 in section 4.2 is just the details expression of the “distributed control network” in Figure 1.

> -- Section 4.  A few questions about the simulation design:
> Only the results were presented.  How were the simulations constructed and
> results evaluated?
[Aijun Wang]: The topology and traffic matrix generated process are described in section 4.2 and section 4.3 respectively. Based on these two information, the algorithm described in the above mentioned paper is run to get the simulation results.

> Section 4.0 states that this section “illustrate[s the] CCDR algorithm”.  Where
> is that algorithm defined?  Is that Section 7 of draft-ietf-teas-pce-native-ip
> or http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/8657733?
[Aijun Wang] In the IEEE paper.

> What specific algorithms was used to create the contrasting charts in Figures 7
> and 8?
[Aijun Wang]: These are demonstration of the simulation results. The detailed algorithm is described in the above mentioned paper. The key idea in the algorithm is that the controller has the global view of the underlying network, thus can operate/controlled the network in more efficient way.

> Section 4.2 said that “[t]he number of links connecting one edge node to the
> set of core nodes is randomly between 2 to 30, and the total number of links is
> more than 20000.”  Section 4.3 said that “[i]n the CCDR simulation, the
> dimension of the traffic matrix is 500*500.  About 20% links are overloaded
> when the Open Shortest Path First (OSPF) protocol is used in the network.”,
> What is the basis of these choices?  Are they representative of a given use
> case?

[Aijun Wang] The base of these selections is the real network. We have the same size of the network and the similar traffic matrix patterns in our network.

> What is the relationship between the Sections 4.2 and 4.3, and the simulation
> results in Sections 4.4 and 4.5

[Aijun Wang]: Section 4.2 and 4.3 are input of the simulation process. They are the base requirements data. Section 4.4 and 4.5 are the simulation results of two key scenarios: E2E QoS assurance and network congestion elimination. The topology and background traffic are provided in section 4.2 and 4.3

> Additional feedback includes:
>
> -- Section 5.  The purpose of this section isn’t clear.

[Aijun Wang]: It is the summary of the aim of this draft.

> -- Missing references
> Section 1.  A reference to CCDR is needed.  Also, given that CCDR is the basis
> of the simulation, it needs to be normative.

[Aijun Wang] Will add in coming version.

> Section 5.  A reference is needed for the IEEE document.

[Aijun Wang] Yes