Re: [Teas] ACTN update

"Scharf, Michael (Nokia - DE)" <michael.scharf@nokia.com> Thu, 17 November 2016 17:53 UTC

From: "Scharf, Michael (Nokia - DE)" <michael.scharf@nokia.com>
To: Daniele Ceccarelli <daniele.ceccarelli@ericsson.com>, "TEAS WG (teas@ietf.org)" <teas@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2016 17:53:17 +0000
x-originating-ip: [135.239.27.41]
Subject: Re: [Teas] ACTN update

Hi Daniele,

I don't think that MDSC can be considered as a subset of an orchestrator, for the current definition of MDSC. For instance, I read in draft-ietf-teas-actn-framework-01 this statement:

   "A key requirement for allowing recursion of MDSCs is that a single
   interface needs to be defined both for the north and the south
   bounds."

If that were the case, the northbound and southbound interface of an orchestrator would have to have that recursion property of MSDC as well, for a subset of its interfaces, right?

But, unfortunately, I don't believe that this is generally true. One indication is that draft-wu-opsawg-service-model-explained-03 defines different models on the different interfaces for an orchestrator (the names may not be consensus). These interfaces may even use entirely different protocols and data models in reality.

To me, the recursion envisioned for MDSC seems to contradict how orchestrators are discussed in other IETF WGs. I am not sure how this can be sorted except by revisiting the ACTN concepts and terms from a service provisioning workflow point of view.

Thanks

Michael