Re: [Teas] Thoughts about draft-nsdt-teas-ietf-network-slice-definition and isolation

Joel Halpern Direct <jmh.direct@joelhalpern.com> Mon, 09 November 2020 22:47 UTC

To: Jeff Tantsura <jefftant.ietf@gmail.com>, adrian@olddog.co.uk, teas@ietf.org
Cc: draft-nsdt-teas-ietf-network-slice-definition@ietf.org
From: Joel Halpern Direct <jmh.direct@joelhalpern.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2020 17:47:53 -0500
Subject: Re: [Teas] Thoughts about draft-nsdt-teas-ietf-network-slice-definition and isolation

If your security policy requires dedicated fiber, buy dedicated fiber.
If you are going through shared routers, shared roadMs, etc. then
dedicating the fiber seems to me to completely miss the point.

And none of the definitions I have seen for what "Isolation" could mean
go to the requisite level of detail.  If it means "the entire
infrastructure must be dedicated", then I do not think it belongs in the
IETF.  If it means "dedicate something, please", then it is not an SLO.

The definitions and framework draft are explicit that they are
technology agnostic.  So it is really hard to see how you can express
any meaningful and useful isolation, assuming that there is such a thing.

More importantly, I would want to see an actual definition of what is to
be described if we are to include it.

I am not asking that the placeholders be removed.  There may be a
definition that is useful.  But what is there isn't it.  Saying that
there may be some as yet undefined SLO that relates to som as yet
undefined meaning of Isolation does not cut it for me.

And yes, I am getting tired of refighting the same discussion.  We
agreed on leaving placeholders in the document.  I was hoping and
expecting that we could get the result of that adopted.  I do not like
having to object to the same draft again.

Yours,
Joel

On 11/9/2020 5:43 PM, Jeff Tantsura wrote:
> [...]
>>> (e.g., major congestion events, etc.), explicit reservation of
>>> resources in the network maybe requested for a reduces set IETF
>>> network slices.
>>> NEW
>>> An IETF Network Slice consumer may request, that the IETF Network
>>> Slice delivered to them is isolated from any other network slices of
>>> services delivered to any other customers. It is expected that the
>>> changes to the other network slices of services do not have any
>>> negative impact on the delivery of the IETF Network Slice.
>>> END
>>>
>>> In making this change I'd note that while these three principles are an
>>> important part of the discussion of isolation they are out of context
>>> here.
>>> Traffic separation is a feature of how isolation may be achieved, but
>>> it is
>>> not something that a consumer can or should specifically ask for:
>>> they have
>>> no way of measuring it and, indeed, since they don't know the purpose of
>>> policies and forwarding rules within an operator's network they shouldn't
>>> ask for control over them. Interference avoidance is a fine goal for a
>>> consumer to ask for, but you already have this captured in the preceding
>>> paragraph. Service assurance seems to capture two things: that the
>>> consumer
>>> may wish for protection of their service in the event of network failure
>>> (that's not really an isolation thing) and that a way to protect against
>>> failure situations is to reserve resources (that's not necessarily an
>>> isolation thing, and is certainly a question of realisation).
>>>
>>> == Section 9.1 ==
>>>
>>> I think that this section is a little over-stated. Maybe:
>>> OLD
>>> Isolation is an important requirement of IETF network slices for
>>> services like critical services, emergencies, etc. A consumer may
>>> express this request through the description of SLOs.
>>> NEW
>>> Isolation may be an important requirement of IETF network slices
>>> for some critical services. A consumer may express this request as
>>> an SLO.
>>> END
>>>
>>> == Section 9.2 ==
>>>
>>> While I think there is value in having this section to note that
>>> there is a
>>> concept of isolation in the realisation of a network slice, I don't think
>>> you should get into details with examples etc. If you want to talk
>>> about how
>>> realisation of network slices works, that should be in another document.
>>>
>>> Thus, I think you could drop the whole of the fist paragraph: it just
>>> duplicates some of the ideas in the second paragraph which says it more
>>> clearly.
>>>
>>> Furthermore, the final paragraph in the section seems to be all about
>>> realisation. I think you should drop it partly because it is technically
>>> suspect (an L3VPN does not achieve traffic separation in the network,