Re: [Teas] AD review: draft-ietf-teas-scheduled-resources

"BRUNGARD, DEBORAH A" <db3546@att.com> Sat, 17 February 2018 02:56 UTC

From: "BRUNGARD, DEBORAH A" <db3546@att.com>
To: "adrian@olddog.co.uk" <adrian@olddog.co.uk>
CC: "draft-ietf-teas-scheduled-resources@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-teas-scheduled-resources@ietf.org>, "teas-chairs@ietf.org" <teas-chairs@ietf.org>, "teas@ietf.org" <teas@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2018 22:44:47 +0000
x-originating-ip: [135.70.210.123]
Subject: Re: [Teas] AD review: draft-ietf-teas-scheduled-resources

Hi Adrian,

OuchšŸ˜Š
Proposed text looks good-
Below..[deborah]
Thanks,
Deborah

-----Original Message-----
From: Adrian Farrel [mailto:adrian@olddog.co.uk]
Sent: Sunday, February 11, 2018 3:43 PM
To: BRUNGARD, DEBORAH A <db3546@att.com>
Cc: draft-ietf-teas-scheduled-resources@ietf.org; teas-chairs@ietf.org; teas@ietf.org
Subject: RE: AD review: draft-ietf-teas-scheduled-resources

Hi Deborah,

Thanks for the thoughtful review.

> Iā€™ve done my AD review of your draft. This draft is on a complex
> problem
space.
> In reviewing it, it reminded me of the discussion around the MLN work
(RFC5212,
> RFC5339) which discussed scheduling of resources (virtual).

You're right. And not much has changed over the (very nearly) ten years. That is, there is an assumption that there is some management element responsible for handling the "booking" of network resources. Of course, 5212 and 5338 (importantly supplemented by 5623 that defined VNTM) considered multi-layered networks, where we are focused on booking in a single layer.

> Most significantly, I missed discussion related to operator policy.

There is a slightly different nuance to this important issue. In a multi-layer network we are concerned (one might say worried!) about how a client network requests resources from a server network. Operator policy is, of course, fundamental in that scenario.

But in our case, we are looking at how an operator manages their own network. Of course, there is policy there, but (one assumes) an operator does not manage their own network outside of their own policy. That is to say, it is the operator's PCE that is doing the work. (No unicorns were harmed in the production of this document!)

Nevertheless, I think we could usefully add a new section 3.3 called "Enforcement of operator policy."  See below.

[deborah] Perhaps there was a nuance. Understand, the PCE is within an operator's domain, what I was looking for was the policy configuration knobs so operators could customize. Your suggested text below captures. If you recall, we had a very wise AD that pushed us to think about and include a manageability section (e.g. RFC6123) even when we felt it was obvious/"business as usual".

> Hereā€™s several critical items which were discussed in the MLN work:
> ā€¢ Amount of capacity available for scheduling needs to be under
>    operator policy.
> ā€¢ The use of scheduled resources if needed during a sudden change  in
> traffic demand event or a complex (multiple nodes/links) failure
> event needs to be based on operator policy so as to protect against
> network destabilization.

There are two cases:

- If the repair is handled by the network then the fact that the resources
  are reserved is unknown by the network and that PCE will react in the
  same way that it would to a link failure and will try to recompute the
  path of the booked LSP.

- If the repair is handled by the PCE then it is aware of the booked resources
  and can apply "operator policy" to determine whether the booked LSP is
  more or less important than repair of the failed LSP.

[deborah] In section 3.1, one of the issues which you identified for holding centrally, was when autonomous actions by the LSRs was allowed. And it noted "this impact can be mitigated by replanning future LSPs or through LSP preemption". As Operators have different views on this, and while it may be PCE business as usual, it would be a consideration. Your proposed text looks good.

> ā€¢ The choice of reserving immediately resources for future use or to
> book without reserving network capacity must be under the control
>   of an operator. And both should be supported by the database  (need
> to be able to distinguish).

Resources that are reserved "now" are indistinguishable from provisioned LSPs (because they are provisioned LSPs). So, yes, an operator could service a request for an LSP to be available next year by setting it up today (or responding "No, come back later"). You may be suggesting that such LSPs provisioned ahead of their actual need could be more pre-emptable than LSPs that are in use. But I think that is crazy-talk :-) If you want to be more pre-emptable, then don't provision the LSP - that's why you have a stateful PCE.

[deborah] As you say above, if doing network recovery, then the LSR's TED is not aware of the scheduling. The draft discusses the PCE's LSP-DB<->PCE's TED being sync'd but not the relationship with the LSR's TED. What I was most concerned about was the operator's ability to control - your proposed text clarifies.

> ā€¢ Section 2.5 ā€œallows pre-emptionā€. This was the first mention of
> pre-emption  of current reservations to handle a scheduled
> reservation. There is no
additional
>  discussion e.g. priority, etc. Pre-emption is a complex subject and
> if it is
allowed,
>  more description is needed and it needs to be added that it is based
> on
operator
>  policy.

You're right that 2.1 and 2.2 should talk about pre-emption.
Personally, I don't think it is a particularly complex concept. But recall, the decision is under the control of the stateful PCE.

> ā€¢ Need to include network performance factors (maximum link
> utilization  and residual capacity of the network) with respect to
> supporting scheduling  and subject to operator policy.

Yes, we could make more of Objective Functions. I guess we're just too used to seeing that as a normal, everyday factor of PCE.

> ā€¢ When you discuss re-optimization, you need to add this needs to be
> under  control of operator policy as the stability of the network will be impacted.

Now you must remember whose PCE this is. Re-optimization out of the control of a PCE is no more than a service re-provisioning request, but since the application is unlikely to be able to see much of the TED, it is meaningless for it to make such a request. Re-optimization under the control of the PCE is exactly according to the operator's policy by definition.

[deborah] Ok, just looking for the words.

> ā€¢ The OAM status of the reserved resources (alarms) must be available.
> Control
of
>  recalculations for the scheduled resources and notifications of the
> alarms
needs to
>  be subject to policy.

It either is or it isn't!
This is no different to any other TED computation except (of course?) computing an LSP's path for an LSP due in three years' time might be more likely to ignore today's alarms.
> In the abstract, you say ā€œThis document provides a
> framework..discusses the architecture..ā€. As this document is more
> than an architecture, I think the
title
> should reflect it is a ā€œFramework..ā€.

This choice of semantics is way above my pay-grade.
[Deborah] It would help to be consistentšŸ˜Š The abstract and introduction say "framework". Choose one or the other.

Ā > You listed CPU utilization, memory, buffers of interfaces as resources that can be
> scheduled. As this draft is on TE LSPs, I didnā€™t see the relation to
> these
parameters
> (for RSVP-TE signaling or PCE use)?

Yup. RSVP-TE is not used to provision compute and storage resources - for which we are suitably grateful. But some people observe that an orchestrator is a type of PCE and that an SDN system uses a PCE at its core.

[Deborah]  But this draft is discussing LSP-DB and TED? Does it cover any/all type of database? If you want to keep, you need to identify these are not standard attributes for LSP-DB and TED.

> In the acknowledgements, you list chen-teas-frmwk-tts and also list it
> in the references. As this earlier document was dated March 2016, it
> would be sufficient to list the authors as you have done, saying
> contributed to earlier version, but donā€™t list the no longer existing
> document.
The text as written is very precise. Is there a problem with an informative reference to an expired draft?

[Deborah] There is no problem with an informative reference to an expired draft. My comment was based on "does this reference provide additional information for the reader?". I asked the question as it would seem more appropriate to have put it in the document. Per [RFC7322], a reference in the ack is used "to note any documents from which text was borrowed". It was not clear to me if that document was the "earlier version" of this draft? Or what was meant by "earlier version".

> There are multiple instances where the English lacks in clarity and
> impacts the understanding. Iā€™ve suggested improvements for multiple
> sentences, though the document needs a more careful review.

Red Rag, please meet Mr. Bull.

I'll look through your comments with interest :-)
> As I said, this is a complex problem space so donā€™t take my comments
> negatively. Iā€™ll send a marked up document to the authors with my
> suggestions for appropriate sections to add text and improving clarity.

Thanks again.

And now, proposed text...

====

3.3 Enforcement of Operator Policy

Computation requests for LSPs are serviced according to operator policy. For example, a PCE may refuse a computation request because the application making the request does not have sufficient permissions, or because servicing the request might take specific resource usage over a given threshold.

Furthermore, the pre-emption and holding priorities of any particular computation request may be subject to the operator's policies. The request could be rejected if it does not conform to the operator's policies, or (possibly more
likely) the priorities could be set/overwritten according to the operator's policies.

Additionally, the objective functions (OFs) of computation request (such as maximizing residual bandwidth) are also subject to operator policies. It is highly likely that the choice of OFs is not available to an application and is selected by the PCE or management system subject to operator policies and knowledge of the application.

None of these statements is new to scheduled resources. They apply to stateless, stateful, passive, and active PCEs, and they continue to apply to scheduling of resources.

An operator may choose to configure special behavior for a PCE that handles resource scheduling. For example, an operator might want only a certain percentage of any resource to be bookable. And an operator might want the pre-emption of booked resources to be an inverse function of how far in the future the resources are needed for the first time.

It Is a general assumption about the architecture described in Section 4 that a PCE is under the operational control of the operator that owns the resources that the PCE manipulates. Thus the operator may configure any amount of (potentially complex) policy at the PCE. This configuration would also include policy points surrounding re-optimization of existing and planned LSPs in the event of changes in the current and future (planned) resource availability.

====

Best,
Adrian (passing through Newark and so able to throw rocks ;-)