Re: [Teas] Genart last call review of draft-ietf-teas-rsvp-te-scaling-rec-06

Elwyn Davies <elwynd@dial.pipex.com> Fri, 13 October 2017 12:45 UTC

To: Vishnu Pavan Beeram <vishnupavan@gmail.com>, Lou Berger <lberger@labn.net>
Cc: Vishnu Pavan Beeram <vbeeram@juniper.net>, "gen-art@ietf.org" <gen-art@ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-teas-rsvp-te-scaling-rec.all@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-teas-rsvp-te-scaling-rec.all@ietf.org>, "teas@ietf.org" <teas@ietf.org>, ietf <ietf@ietf.org>
From: Elwyn Davies <elwynd@dial.pipex.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2017 13:37:30 +0100
Subject: Re: [Teas] Genart last call review of draft-ietf-teas-rsvp-te-scaling-rec-06

Hi, Pavan.

Sorry for the delay in replying.

Yes, I meant RFC 2205 in a couple of places where I said RFC 2209. Oops!

I had a think about the points below and I believe there may still be
things to be noted. My thoughts are inline below.

Cheers,
Elwyn

On 06/10/2017 22:23, Vishnu Pavan Beeram wrote:
> [...]
>     >>     regards fixing the 'major issue', restucturing s2 and
>     fixing the
>     >>     nits - thanks.
>     >>
>     >>
>     >> [Pavan] Great!
>     >>
>     >>
>     >>     Looking at the IESG comments I think you have covered most of
>     >>     them  except it would be good to put a pointer to Appendix
>     A into
>     >>     the intro of s2.
>     >>
>     >>     With reference to Appendix A(d), it would be helpful to
>     s/periodic
>     >>     retransmission interval/Periodic Retransmission Interval/ and
>     >>     possibly give it a name (Rpri or some such)  in s2.3 and
>     Appendix
>     >>     A(d).  Adding the name of the interval after "retransmission of
>     >>     these on a slower timer" migt mak it clearer also.
>     >>
>     >>
>     >> [Pavan] Ok. We'll add a pointer to the Appendix and also find a
>     short
>     >> form for the periodic retransmission interval.
>     >>
>     >>
>     >>     However,  I think you still need to address all three of
>     the minor
>     >>     issues:
>     >>     - Capability object:  A 'basic' implementation of RFC
>     2209/RFC3209
>     >>     will not include the RFC5063 extensions.
>     >>
>     >>
>     >> [Pavan] I think you meant RFC2205 and not RFC2209.
>     >>
>     >>     I think you should therefore make it explicit that a
>     prerequisite
>     >>     for your extensions is an implementation of the Capability
>     object
>     >>     as specified in RFC5063 (my proposal for s3) , making it clear
>     >>     that this does not require any of the other functionality
>     of RFC
>     >>     5063, especially no support for the S bit in the Capabilities.
>     >>
>     >>
>     >> [Pavan] I'm not really sure that "Capability Object" needs a
>     separate
>     >> prerequisite section. I'll let the Document-Shepherd and our AD
>     take a
>     >> call on this. Please note that the document also talks about using
>     >> Node-ID hellos from RFC4558. Would "Node-Hellos/RFC4558" also then
>     >> need a separate prerequisite section? We added a separate
>     section for
>     >> RFC2961 because there is a need to explicitly clarify the usage of
>     >> certain 2961 procedures. With "Capability Object" and "Node
>     Hellos",
>     >> there isn't anything (IMHO) that needs to be explicitly clarified.

I think it would be useful to prospective implementors to have a very
short statement either at the end of s1 or as a new section to say that
you need to have the Capability Object implemented as this is not
necessarily in a basic RSVP  implementation or RSVP-TE implementation.
Since this draft is about RSVP-TE deployments (RFC 3209) you get
Node-Hellos automatically (and the RFC 4558 clarification is mentioned)
and doesn't need to be called out explicitly.

>     We
>     >> could just add a statement in Section 4.1 saying that you don't
>     need
>     >> to set any other flags. Would that address your concern about the
>     >> ambiguity regarding the "Graceful Restart" bits?
>     >>
>     >> OLD
>     >>    An implementation supporting the RI-RSVP technique
>     >> MUST set a new
>     >>    flag "RI-RSVP Capable" in the CAPABILITY object signaled in
>     Hello
>     >>    messages.
>     >> NEW
>     >>
>     >>  An implementation supporting the RI-RSVP technique MUST set a new
>     >>    flag "RI-RSVP Capable" in the CAPABILITY object signaled in
>     Hello
>     >>    messages. This MAY be the only flag set in the object.
>     >>

That sounds fine.

>     >>
>     >>     -  Your response regarding what happens if a peer initially
>     >>     acknowledges that it supports the new capabilities by
>     setting the
>     >>     I/F bits in the Capability and sends some messages with the
>     >>     Refresh-Reduction-Capable bit set, but then stops setting the
>     >>     Refresh-Reduction-Capable bit doesn't really address the
>     problem.
>     >>      Would this mean that the receiver should assume that the
>     peer can
>     >>     no longer support the extensions?
>     >>
>     >>
>     >> [Pavan] Yes.
>     >>
>     >>     Is this a permanent state or could the peer start setting the
>     >>     Refresh-Reduction-Capable bit again and restore initial
>     >>     functionality - or should this just not be allowed.
>     >>
>     >>
>     >> [Pavan] The peer can set the bit again and restore the
>     functionality.
>     >>
>     >>     I think you need to think through what happes in the various
>     >>     possible cases and explain what an implementation should do in
>     >>     each case.

What seems to be missing is what should be done if either or both of the
two capabilities are active on the peer or some of its LSPs when the
Refresh-Reduction-Capable bit is cleared in a message (which I think
could be any message from the peer).  If I understand correctly it is
possible that RI-RSVP might have to be switched off and depending on
where the RI-RSVP process had got to in terms of sending repeat PATH
messages, it might be necessary to revert to standard refreshing
procedures from part way through the revised procedure - I think you
probably need to be clear about what you would do in terms of where to
enter the default refresh procedure and whether this means the refresh
interval should revert to a lower value.   I am not sure whether
immediately unthrottling the flow control would be desirable either!

> [...]
>     >>     when there is no acknowledgement of refreshes. The relevant
>     >>     parameter is the cleanup time.  However, this leaves us with a
>     >>     problem.. the cleanup time is typically set as a multiple
>     of the
>     >>     refresh interval (9 times seems to be the default) - indeed
>     I see
>     >>     that the interface configuration on a Juniper router (!)
>     actually
>     >>     sets it by asking for the multiple rather than an absolute
>     value.
>     >>     Wth the new dispensation in ths document, there are two time
>     >>     periods involved:  I think you do need to respecify how to
>     >>     calculate a sensible cleanup interval, and note that the
>     >>     retransmissions will then halt after this interval.
>     >>
>     >>
>     >> [Pavan] I think you are confusing this with the "setup retry" timer
>     >> (which comes into play when you signal the PATH setup of an LSP
>     >> instance and don't get a RESV back). Please go through
>     >>
>     https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ravisingh-teas-rsvp-setup-retry-01
>     <https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ravisingh-teas-rsvp-setup-retry-01>
>     >>
>     <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__tools.ietf.org_html_draft-2Dravisingh-2Dteas-2Drsvp-2Dsetup-2Dretry-2D01&d=DwMDaQ&c=HAkYuh63rsuhr6Scbfh0UjBXeMK-ndb3voDTXcWzoCI&r=CFHVfW0WsgxSqM6wTJiWE5evUJAdlUl1fm7E0WVbiS8&m=k7e-cloxf90XW9b_KRgpp7fxJRT4Q-f-_Nor0jTe8fg&s=XXwwGPXiCQhVIgNDbiHxKEuHs1fkmMoiGQsHcQ33ZQE&e=
>     <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__tools.ietf.org_html_draft-2Dravisingh-2Dteas-2Drsvp-2Dsetup-2Dretry-2D01&d=DwMDaQ&c=HAkYuh63rsuhr6Scbfh0UjBXeMK-ndb3voDTXcWzoCI&r=CFHVfW0WsgxSqM6wTJiWE5evUJAdlUl1fm7E0WVbiS8&m=k7e-cloxf90XW9b_KRgpp7fxJRT4Q-f-_Nor0jTe8fg&s=XXwwGPXiCQhVIgNDbiHxKEuHs1fkmMoiGQsHcQ33ZQE&e=>>
>     >> for a detailed account of setup retry timer, issues associated
>     with it
>     >> and recommended practices. The staged retransmission (Section 2.3)
>     >> that comes into play when there is no ACK is different from
>     what you
>     >> are alluding to -- it is meant for any message seeking ACK (not
>     just
>     >> PATH). This is very specific to the exponential back-off procedure
>     >> discussed in Section 6 of RFC2961. As per RFC2961, the rapid
>     >> retransmissions stop after we reach a certain retry limit. In
>     Section
>     >> 2.3, we are clarifying what needs to be done after this Retry
>     limit is
>     >> reached --- the recommendation is to fall back on a not so rapid
>     >> retransmission interval. As a I said in my previous email, this
>     needs
>     >> to be done until either an ACK is received or the corresponding

No.  I am not talking about the setup-retry timer.  I was thinking about
the L value (the local state lifetime) as discussed in Section 3.7 of
RFC 2205.  This is usually defined in terms of a multiple of the refresh
timer - s3 of the draft suggests that the refresh timer be configured to
20 minutes making the L value at least an hour in the default case.
This would mean the slower refresh retries would go on for an hour which
seems excessive.  I suspect you need to specify an alternative algorithm
for setting L.

>     >>
>     >>
>     >>     Does this last modification constitute an update of RFC
>     2209?  I
>     >>     am not sure -consult your AD!
>     >>
>     >>
>     >> [Pavan] RFC2209 is an informational document that provides
>     guidance on
>     >> the various data-models and procedures needed for an
>     implementation to
>     >> be RFC2205 compliant. Most of the content in RFC2209 is outdated
>     >> (imho). No one has had the inclination over the years to update
>     this
>     >> and we don't intend to do this either.
>     >>
>     >> [Pavan] Reading through the various questions/comments from the
>     IESG,
>     >> I'm convinced that this document needs to formally update RFC2961.
>     >> We'll go ahead and do that if the shepherd and our AD have no
>     objections.

This has been addressed in your discussions with Lou.