Re: [Teas] consideration of 1 VPN to N VNs mapping

Qin Wu <bill.wu@huawei.com> Wed, 05 August 2020 13:15 UTC

From: Qin Wu <bill.wu@huawei.com>
To: "Ogaki, Kenichi" <ke-oogaki@kddi.com>, 'Dhruv Dhody' <dhruv.ietf@gmail.com>
CC: '�m坂 拓也' <ta-miyasaka@kddi.com>, '丹羽 朝信' <to-niwa@kddi.com>, "draft-ietf-teas-te-service-mapping-yang@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-teas-te-service-mapping-yang@ietf.org>, 'TEAS WG' <teas@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 2020 13:15:13 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.164.150.247]
Subject: Re: [Teas] consideration of 1 VPN to N VNs mapping

Hi,
-----ÓʼþÔ­¼þ-----
·¢¼þÈË: Ogaki, Kenichi [mailto:ke-oogaki@kddi.com]
·¢ËÍʱ¼ä: 2020Äê8ÔÂ5ÈÕ 8:59
ÊÕ¼þÈË: 'Dhruv Dhody' <dhruv.ietf@gmail.com>
³­ËÍ: 'ŒmÛà ÍØÒ²' <ta-miyasaka@kddi.com>; 'µ¤Ó𠳯ÐÅ' <to-niwa@kddi.com>; draft-ietf-teas-te-service-mapping-yang@ietf.org; 'TEAS WG' <teas@ietf.org>
Ö÷Ìâ: RE: [Teas] consideration of 1 VPN to N VNs mapping

Hi Dhruv,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

>There is an 'end-to-end leaf' that says bandwidth reservation needs to be done in MPLS network but I did not interpret that it requires maintaining a separate VN, the consolidated requirements from all classes can be mapped to a single VN and the QoS is applied at the edges as per the L3SM YANG.

As you saw in section 6.12.3.2, the properties of custom qos-profile include latency, and we honestly want the per-flow, classification rule, based VN mapping mechanism.

[Qin]: Kenichi, thanks for heads up.
RFC8299 allow you specify site level QoS parameters and site-network-access level QoS parameters. Each site-nework-access can support different QoS parameters matching one or multiple traffic flows.
These QoS parameters don't need to tie with specific CE-PE connectivity. It could be used to describe end to end QoS requirements from one site to another site or one site to multiple destination sites using target-site leaf-list under match-flow definition.
However RFC8299 doesn't describe 1 to 1 relation between target-class-id and standard-profile, it could be N to 1 relation.
standard profile (such as golden, silver) can not be simply seen as network performance constraint. QoS parameters in custom profile (e.g., latency) should be seen as SLA contract set between customer and operator, which is still a little different from network performance constraints used for path computation.

Secondly, we can map one VPN into one VN with multiple VN members, each VN member describe connective from one site to another destination site and can support different QoS requirement which is similar to using site-network-access to support different QoS requirements.
Does this satisfy your use case?

>Anyways, let me get this verified from L3SM experts and come back to you.

Your colleague and one of co-editors of both te-service-mapping and RFC8299, Qin Wu, is familiar with this discussion like this:
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/l3sm/i5srx8YpD9296bu3VuIkHgAEi3g/
Q.12 from David Ball

Thanks,
Kenichi