Re: [Teas] WG adoption - draft-nsdt-teas-transport-slice-definition

"Dongjie (Jimmy)" <jie.dong@huawei.com> Thu, 03 September 2020 03:40 UTC

From: "Dongjie (Jimmy)" <jie.dong@huawei.com>
To: Shunsuke Homma <s.homma0718@gmail.com>, "BRUNGARD, DEBORAH A" <db3546@att.com>
CC: "adrian@olddog.co.uk" <adrian@olddog.co.uk>, TEAS WG Chairs <teas-chairs@ietf.org>, Vishnu Pavan Beeram <vishnupavan@gmail.com>, TEAS WG <teas@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2020 03:40:11 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.108.243.143]
Subject: Re: [Teas] WG adoption - draft-nsdt-teas-transport-slice-definition

Hi Shunsuke and all,

In 3GPP and other SDOs, an end-to-end network slice consists of 3 major types of network segments: Radio Access Network (RAN), Mobile Core Network (CN) and Transport Network (TN), the network slicing of transport network is out of the scope of 3GPP and is considered the job of IETF. Thus from the end-to-end network slicing perspective, we in IETF need to work to deliver the transport (network) slice. And I agree with Shunsuke that transport network slice may be better to align with other SDOs.

On the other hand, the “network slicing” mechanism provided by IETF may be used in a wider scope than end-to-end network slicing of 5G, thus I understand Deborah’s concern about whether we need to have a more generic term. While the term network slice already have its meaning and scope widely accepted in the industry, I’m not sure whether it could be used directly for an IETF solution. Perhaps we could either add some attributives in front of “network slice” to show it is scoped to IETF, or choose another term which is more IETF specific, and describes its applicability to transport network slice in the context of end-to-end network slicing. Note the second approach was chosen when enhanced VPN (VPN+) framework was developed.

Best regards,
Jie