Re: [Techspec] Additional comment on draft-mankin-pub-req-08

Elwyn Davies <elwynd@googlemail.com> Mon, 12 June 2006 21:57 UTC

Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 23:00:23 +0100
From: Elwyn Davies <elwynd@googlemail.com>
To: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>
Subject: Re: [Techspec] Additional comment on draft-mankin-pub-req-08
Cc: iesg@ietf.org, techspec@ietf.org

John C Klensin wrote:
> (resending a slightly modified version from the correct address
> -- sorry)
>
> --On Monday, 12 June, 2006 18:19 +0100 Elwyn Davies
> <elwynd@googlemail.com> wrote:
>

>> I appreciate that the last call is strictly over, but one
>> extra point came to mind when considering
>> draft-iab-rfc-editor-00.
>>
>> The requirements in draft-mankin split into two parts:
>> - Those that are specific to the IETF document 'stream' -
>> most;y the 'front end' of the process
>> - Those that apply mainly to the back end of the process and
>> are relevant to any documents that are published by the RFC
>> Editor
>>
>> For convenience when specifying requirements for IAB and IRTF
>> documents etc it would be helpful if the two types of
>> requirements were split into separate sections for easier
>> cross referencing.
>>

> Elwyn,
>
> This is, of course, one of the meta-problems with the document
> that several of us have tried to point out in different ways.
> The community has been repeatedly assured that it applies _only_
> to the IETF document stream.  If that is true, then the material
> you describe as "generic" is advisory at best.  At worst, it
> needs separate evaluation via other processes.

Indeed.  Any use of these requirements by another document stream than
the IETF one is entirely a matter for the specifiers of that stream.

We probably have four different streams and the 'generic' stuff would
not, AFAICS, be contentious for the IRTF and IAB streams - they
currently take essentially the same post-approval path as the IETF
stream.  The main object of this exercise was to make it easier to write
any additional requirements for the IRTF and IAB streams without having
to duplicate things unnecessarily.

/Elwyn