Re: Telnet AUTH_ENCRYPT option

"Robert G. Moskowitz" <0003858921@mcimail.com> Wed, 22 September 1993 11:15 UTC

Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1993 10:48:00 +0000
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: "Robert G. Moskowitz" <0003858921@mcimail.com>
To: Rick Watson <rick@akbar.cc.utexas.edu>
To: telnet ietf <telnet-ietf@cray.com>
Subject: Re: Telnet AUTH_ENCRYPT option

>Has anyone implemented the AUTH_ENCRYPT option as described in Dave
>Borman's April 1993 draft? Is there any active discussion relating to
>this option? We (the University of Texas) are adding Kerberos and
>encryption support to the Macintosh versions of NCSA/Telnet and
>Brown/TN3270, as well as to a commercial tn3270 server, and are trying
>to decide which specification to follow.

I can't speak about standard TELNET, but for TN3270, there is a separate wg.
I am its chair.  We have three drafts going right now, one for the current
TN3270 practices, one for an extension to this to add printer and dedicated
LU support, and a third that significantly enhances TN3270 to support a
number of key SNA options.  Our list is a LISTSERV, TN3270E@list.nih.gov

In our discussions on encryption, we have decided not to specify the
AUTH_ENCRYPT, as IBM already has a 3270 encryption methodlogy within the
3270 datastream.  Vendors that want to support encryption should support
that instead.  That, at least is our current thoughts.

Bob Moskowitz
Chrysler Corp
TN3270E WG Chair