[Terminology] Éric Vyncke's Abstain on charter-ietf-term-00-03: (with COMMENT)

Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Thu, 08 April 2021 13:23 UTC

From: Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: term-chairs@ietf.org, terminology@ietf.org
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2021 06:23:21 -0700
Subject: [Terminology] Éric Vyncke's Abstain on charter-ietf-term-00-03: (with COMMENT)

Éric Vyncke has entered the following ballot position for
charter-ietf-term-00-03: Abstain

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-term/

COMMENT:

[Updating my ballot position from NO RECORD to ABSTAIN after more thinking]

The diversity and inclusion issues are critical within the IETF community (and
in IETF documents).  But I am very skeptical whether any informational RFC will
change anything or have any useful impact, I am also concerned that this WG
could become divisive among the IETF community... polarization has, alas,
become common in the recent years in all fora.

Beside D&I, it is also important on the editorial side to keep a common
terminology with other SDO... so, there are editorial guidelines to be written,
but, again unsure whether a WG is the best place.

Hence my 'ABSTAIN' position in the sense of 'I oppose the creation of a TERM WG
but understand that others differ and am not going to stand in the way of the
others'.

On the charter text itself (unchanged from my previous NO RECORD COMMENTS):

Thanks for addressing my previous comments ;-)

Nevertheless, I am puzzled by the replacement of "work produced by IETF" by
"work produced by IETF participants" because "IETF" includes the processes,
BCP, RFC Editor, etc. while "IETF participants" does not (at least for a non
English speaker).  Is there a reason for this change ? The other use of "IETF
participants" later in the text sounds better.

"This maximizes the benefits the IETF derives from its core principles, such as
its open process and volunteer core." Sounds really like a marketing statement
to me...

Suggestion s/when language is inclusive or exclusive/whether language is
inclusive/ to be consistent with previous sentence.

Having said this, let's continue to look for a more diverse and inclusive IETF
community, which is more important.

Regards

-éric