Re: [Terminology] We should avoid childish acronyms as well

Dan Harkins <dharkins@lounge.org> Mon, 10 January 2022 22:20 UTC

Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 14:20:12 -0800
From: Dan Harkins <dharkins@lounge.org>
To: terminology@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Terminology] We should avoid childish acronyms as well

   Divining for offense is a popular pastime these days so the fact
that someone somewhere was offended by an IETF backronym should surprise
absolutely no one. This really took off when the definition of offense
changed from intention of the speaker to how the recipient felt about
it and being offended started to be used as a cudgel. It's basically a
power-grab-- I take offense at your words and you must now grovel to
my satisfaction.

   I think the best course of action is to ignore the offended (telling
them to get a life may be helpful or may inflame them, it depends). They
will soon go looking for other greener pastures and people who will
react to their demands. The reputation of the IETF will be fine.

   Dan.