Re: [TERNLI] Notes from tonight's ad hoc

Lars Eggert <lars.eggert@netlab.nec.de> Sat, 29 July 2006 09:14 UTC

From: Lars Eggert <lars.eggert@netlab.nec.de>
Subject: Re: [TERNLI] Notes from tonight's ad hoc
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 11:14:00 +0200
To: Joe Touch <touch@ISI.EDU>
Cc: ternli@ietf.org, Michael Welzl <Michael.Welzl@uibk.ac.at>

Hi,

On Jul 29, 2006, at 3:23, Joe Touch wrote:
> Right. I like the idea of "only give info that you think the next
> layer
> can use", but not "tell the next layer what you want it to do". Also,
> the information passed ought to be something that makes sense in the
> context of the next layer, e.g., tell the network layer about a path
> property, not about a link technology, etc.

this is probably one of the most precise - and concise - descriptions
of the idea we've been kicking around I've see so far.

Also, we've so far mostly thought about the network/transport
interface and what additional information could be passed across it
that would allow some new response mechanisms at the transport layer
to improve performance. However, the principle of extending
interfaces in this way - as you've summarized above - can also be
applied to the link/network and transport/application interface. The
link/network part is to some degree looked at by mobopts (although
maybe not following the approach identified above). I'm unaware of
extensions to the transport/app interface.

Finally, this discussion has mostly talked about moving information
of a certain kind up the stack in a certain way. Someone (Mark
Handley?) had pointed out that the reverse direction may also be
important to look at. Your text above can be read to apply to both
directions, which is nice.

Lars
--
Lars Eggert                                     NEC Network Laboratories