Re: [TERNLI] Forwarding corrupt packets

Gorry Fairhurst <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk> Mon, 04 September 2006 13:13 UTC

Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2006 14:13:43 +0100
From: Gorry Fairhurst <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk>
To: Michael Welzl <michael.welzl@uibk.ac.at>
Subject: Re: [TERNLI] Forwarding corrupt packets
Cc: ternli@ietf.org, Joe Touch <touch@ISI.EDU>

I think it was a reasonable strawman, and is a form of cross-layer
signalling. I suggest any L2 signalling has to demonstrate it is
necessary, safe, etc.

Not sure the case for DCCP is much stronger, but would could think on
this. My take is that links have to work hard to get UDP-Lite-style L2
processing working effectively. Links that do this can get benefit (if
desigend that way). Peeking into the header may also be reasonable for DCCP.

Your deployment note at the end on UDP-Lite is a good point. If some
signal could help address this issue, this would be a great step towards
  real deployment, however at the moment, I'm not yet persauded this is
the right way to do this.

Thanks,

Gorry