[TERNLI] Re: [Int-area] BOF: Transport-Enhancing Refinements to the Network Layer Interface (TERNLI)

Lars Eggert <lars.eggert@netlab.nec.de> Mon, 12 June 2006 14:17 UTC

From: Lars Eggert <lars.eggert@netlab.nec.de>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 17:17:21 +0300
To: Bernard Aboba <aboba@internaut.com>
Cc: ternli@ietf.org
Subject: [TERNLI] Re: [Int-area] BOF: Transport-Enhancing Refinements to the Network Layer Interface (TERNLI)

(Redirecting the reply to the TERNLI list.)

On Jun 12, 2006, at 15:25, Bernard Aboba wrote:
>> This isolation, however, comes at a cost, because the traditional
>> communication abstraction maintained by these new network-layer
>> extensions
>> hides information that transport-layer protocols should act on.
>
> The information is hidden only for the purposes of connection
> management,
> not for parameter estimation.

What we tried to express by "isolation" is that one doesn't really
want to implement optimizations that are MIP-, HIP-, SHIM6- or MULTI6-
specific into each of the transport protocols, even if one could.
(And we'd like to standardize such extensions even less.)

A better approach could be to define an extension to the interface
between network and transport that is independent of a specific
network-layer technology, and extend transport protocols to act on
the generic extension.

>> Many common
>> transport mechanisms, such as congestion window estimation, RTT
>> measurements
>> or path MTU discovery, are not agile enough to properly handle the
>> significant
>> instantaneous changes to path characteristics that these network-
>> layer
>> extensions introduce.
>
> I might say that "Many current transport algorithms for...", so
> that it
> is not implied that there are no algorithms that would work.

Good point, will change this.

Thanks!

Lars
--
Lars Eggert                                     NEC Network Laboratories