Re: [TERNLI] Notes from tonight's ad hoc

"Spencer Dawkins" <spencer@mcsr-labs.org> Tue, 01 August 2006 22:30 UTC

From: Spencer Dawkins <spencer@mcsr-labs.org>
To: ternli@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [TERNLI] Notes from tonight's ad hoc
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2006 17:29:21 -0500

> I'm still not yet convinced we understand exactly what the TRANSPORT can
> usefully utilise, and which it can rely upon to make safe decisions.
>
> * One issue that came up time and again in the previuous BoFs - how does
> the tranport entity KNOW the signal is from a node on the path, and how
> much do you wish to continue the idea of "fate-sharing" and "alternate
> paths" - in which it's hard to know if link characteristics really impact
> flows.

Yes, concerns about security morphed TRIGTRAN into ALIAS, IIRC. This was one
of the reasons why TRIGTRAN concentrated on first-hop link changes - TTL=254
made it a lot harder to spoof anything there.

One other security-related point I remember from TRIGTRAN - if you assume
paths with NATs/FWs are interesting, you have to make a decision about
whether you use a new protocol for signaling, or hack around using the old
protocol (knowing that you can get the old protocol through the NAT/FW, so
reusing a TCP segment as a hint would get you through the NAT/FW, too). At
this point, I'm assuming TERNLI is willing to consider a new protocol.

> * If you know that some of the packets in the flow have been through the
> device, do you trust it? There's DOS opportunities here, and also issues
> of trust between ISPs and Core providers.
>
> * Finally, in the TrigTran BoFs, I also recall some discussion of
> time-scales, what seems like a "timely" event at the physical layer, may
> not be of interest to the transport layer (working on a timescale of
> several Path RTTs).

Yes, IIRC, this was a Mark Allman point (shared by others) - reacting five
times during one RTT probably isn't helpful. Of course, if you want to do
better than what TCP would have done anyway, you have a small number of RTTs
to achieve what you're trying to achieve, and if you don't achieve it by
that small number of RTTs, you would have done better to let TCP figure the
situation out end-to-end.