Re: [TERNLI] Forwarding corrupt packets

Gorry Fairhurst <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk> Mon, 04 September 2006 11:01 UTC

Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2006 12:01:36 +0100
From: Gorry Fairhurst <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk>
To: Michael Welzl <michael.welzl@uibk.ac.at>
Subject: Re: [TERNLI] Forwarding corrupt packets
Cc: ternli@ietf.org, Joe Touch <touch@ISI.EDU>

A) On which link layers support this?

Not all link-layers necessarily check all the bytes within a link framer
when calculating the frame integrity check (e.g. CRC-16 or CRC-32).

A classic example of this is the ISO HDLC frame format, that has long
included a frame-type called UIH, which assigns the CRC to cover a
pre-agreed minimum number of bytes (perhaps pre-configured, perhaps
negotiated using the XID method). Frames with invalid CRCs are
discarded, frames with good CRCs are forwarded without judgement on the
remaining content. This could be used by a UDP-Lite aware (L4 snooping)
link driver to select to choose UIH format in favour of UI frames, when
this is compatible with the UDP-Lite coverage value.

HDLC Voice links have used this format, and something similar is
supported in some of 3GPP specs. BUT DO NOTE, to support this and get
strong benefits you have to make the correct PHY decisions, which
impacts coding, modulation, synchronisation, etc. - It's not just a
matter of ignoring the CRC and hoping for the best.

If you don't use a CRC at all, you increase the chance of mis-delivery
to others (and the possibility of getting mangled packets). This is
particularly bad for IPv6 nodes. The IPv4 checksum is too weak to really
give you much confidence under these cases either;-).

---

B) On whether this extra signalling is useful?

What I don't understand is the "essence" of the message that you need to
generate to utilise this, since you seem to suggest in this thread using
explicit signalling to set L2 state, rather than per-packet choices.

 > "From transport end point to network"
- I think we already have this as a transport option.
- not sure I am convinced we need the signal.
- I don't understand this signal... it seems to bind a specific TSpec
(IPsrc,IPdst, Transport, srcport,dstport)to a L2 identity... How do you
differentiate when a new app replaces the previous one with different
semantics?

 > From network to transport end point:"Corruption Forwarding supported
(CF)"
- Why do we need to know this at the transport layer?
- If your end systems (and any L4 middleboxes!) support UDP-Lite and/or
DCCP with partial coverage it is FINE to use this irrespective of
whether the links do anyrthing special. you don't gain, but you don't
loose either.

- Can you clarify how the extra signalling helps?