Re: Building an Agenda for the TEWG meeting at UBC

tom@nisca.ircc.ohio-state.edu Tue, 10 July 1990 15:41 UTC

To: tewg@devvax.tn.cornell.edu
Cc: almes@rice.edu
Subject: Re: Building an Agenda for the TEWG meeting at UBC
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 1990 11:32:53 -0400
From: tom@nisca.ircc.ohio-state.edu

Thus spake Mr Almes:

  One should consider the amount of time and manpower which is being spent
  on problems (leaves and/or hubs) when power related problems strike.  We
  recently spents a man-day fixing (not to mention the several days of outage)
  a problem at a small "leaf" site that could have been prevented with at
  least a surge protector, and better yet an inexpensive UPS.  As Mike had
  mentioned all of our hubs are on UPS and it has been more than worth the
  initial outlay of money to do that.  As for 24/7 operations support; I have
  to agree that it would be very costly and that not all sites need it.  That
  is not totally divorced from the issue of power protection, though, in that
  UPS will reduce the number of incidents that require operations staff to
  intervene.

  I think that sites acting as hubs have a responsibility to provide good
  connectivity.  I like the idea of doing a survey such as Guy suggests.
  Would it truely be departure from "topology engineering" to engineer a site
  or network connection to use a more fault-tolerant location over another?
  But then fault-tolerant needs to be defined (or recommended)...

             Tom