Arbitrary Connectivity Considered Harmful

Kent England <kwe@buitb.bu.edu> Tue, 08 May 1990 21:25 UTC

Date: Tue, 08 May 1990 16:29:02 -0400
From: Kent England <kwe@buitb.bu.edu>
To: tewg@devvax.tn.cornell.edu
Subject: Arbitrary Connectivity Considered Harmful
Cc: tvondeak@nasamail.nasa.gov

> From: tvondeak@nasamail.nasa.gov (THOMAS VON DEAK)
> Date: Mon, 7 May 90 07:33 PDT
> To: <ietf@venera.isi.edu>
> Subject: Help
>
> I work on a project (Advanced Communications Technology Satellite
> Program) that will support single-hop, mesh networking, wide
> bandwidth communications with a VSAT size earth station (dish
> size less than 2.4 meters).  Our program offers "free" use of the
> satellite to researchers.
>
> Some researchers in Chile and Antarctica, among others, want to
> gain access to TCP/IP based networks.

	If we thought Europe looked "interesting" after Peter
Kirstein's review of trans-Atlantic connectivity, and the Pacific Rim
looked "interesting" after Torben's presentation, then I think that
international connectivity after this guy gets through building a
NASA satellite-based, mesh TCP/IP global net, will be equally
"interesting".

	We should invite von Deak to speak to TEWG after he builds
this VSAT network and before he plugs it into the Internet.

	--Kent
	[The title is a teaser.  This VSAT net is not necessarily
harmful.  Just wanted someone to read this message.  :-) ]